>play smarter<

These words get shouted by a man while my stomach turns as I hear this announcement. H- how can that be? They can't have found me yet, I didn't do anything wrong, I didn't act out of line or anything like that.

Slowly I walk over to this door and try to figure out how to act. Somehow I need to hide my shaking hands and the fact that I am extremly frightened. That would probably make me seem suspicious. But wouldn't be everyone scared when these people are standing in front or their door?

Though I can't let too much time fly by, so hesitatingly I open the door with my shaking hands and try to show the most naive face I can.

''Good evening Miss.'' The taller one of the two men I am faced with says while I put both my hands behind my back, so I can hold one by it's wrist tightly, so I have something to hold onto.

''Good evening gentlemen, can I help you with something?'' Innocently I stare up into the eyes of both men, one of them stares more strictly and the other one seems a bit surprised to see a child in front of him.

''Yes you can. We'd like to see your passport and know if you are travelling alone.'' The other one finally speaks while I gently tild my head just a little to the side because that furthermore shows the softness in my face. ''Of course, give me a second.'' Surprisingly my soft tone does cover up my fear more than I assumed it would. Calmly I walk away from the door, as I get to the desk on which my handbag is placed, I turn my back to the men in order to search for my passport in it and also tho hide the guest list in it while they can't see what I am doing.

With the passport firmly in my hands, I try to not freak out internally. As I get to the men, the taller one immediately reaches out for my passport.

"So Miss Weiss, are you travelling alone?" Carefully I analyse his tone as he reads my passport while saying this short sentence. He doesn't sound suspicious at all, though I will not trust a man with the letters SS on his collar.

Once again quite innocently, I answer "Yes I am." "Where to?" The shorter one asks while trying to glance in the room behind me. Maybe it's a bit naive, though I simply don't believe they know that I am a spy. So far there simply is no evidence and my theory can't be too far from the truth because I am given my passport back.

"To Berlin, I am visiting my aunt." Partly I actually am proud that I come up with this lie and it sounds indeed believable as it leaves my mouth, though I am not proud that I lied. Not at all.

The passport firmly rests in my hands which are again behind my back. And due to the fact that I have to glance up to both men, I just hope they will think I am a naive little girl and leave again.

One of them clears his throat before asking curiously "So you are from Munich and on to your journey to Berlin you need to stop near Prague? Isn't this a big detour?" He is right, that doesn't add up. And nobody told me what to say when asked this.

Though determined I still try to keep my naive glance ad I stare at the collar of his uniform. SS. There are two SS men in front of me asking what I do here. I am near Prague even I am headed to Berlin and they think my journey started in Munich. All I need is an explanation why I stop here, something that which they won't question furthermore.

''You surely heard about the assassination of SS-Obergruppenführer Heydrich, and I wanted to stop here to pay my tribute.'' My lie sounds soft and instantly I can see in their eyes that out of the loyalty they are sworn to, they cannot doubt it. And the only reason I came up with that is because when I was looking through the guest list, his name had a cross next to it.

''Naturally, it simply is a tragedy." One of the man says nearly apologetic and quite fast. He at least seems to be convinced that I am just as faithful to this regime of terror as he is. Though the taller one seems still a bit hostile towards me as he demands "We need to search your room."