Two

A few days had gone past. My wounds had scabbed and my brand almost fully closed. Today was prep day before June and I got to kill Oleg and Pavel.

"Maze?"

"What?"

"Why do our code names always get last names but we don't personally have any?"

"Because our cover belongs to a family, we do not."

"Maybe we could make one?"

"Don't bother. We are assassins. We live to kill. Killers don't deserve last names."

I had woken up June to go on a run. Once we finished we hit the gym again. June held the bag while I punched and kicked.

"So while you hit the bag, let's talk strategy."

I continued the punch the bag. "We are getting to them at the shipment at the docks tomorrow night."

"I show up, saying I'm lost."

"I stalk around behind the crates."

"Then I get one's attention."

"I grab the other from behind then I cut my target's head off."

" And then I cut my target's head off while he is distracted watching you kill."

"Done and done June."

I stop punching the bag when I hear a laugh echo through the gym walls.

"That is your plan?" Shade laughs.

"It's a plan that gets results." I fire back.

"Doesn't seem well thought out."

"Kiss my ass Shade. This is my team, my plan, and my kill. I don't give two shits about what you do in your missions, so stay the fuck out of mine."

"Your stupidity and thoughtless planning will get you killed one day Kenny."

"At least I'd be away from you."

"I would just see you later in hell."

June cut in between us and pulled me back.

"Our mission is tomorrow and we need to be in our best shape, so back of Shade."

"At least when you two die, Carlos and I will be on the top with no competition."

"Which implies that you are second to us right now."I shot him a wicked grin. His grey eyes bore into my forest green ones.

The loudspeaker sounded. "Mazikeen and Shade my office!"

"Boss sounds mad." Shade groaned.

As we left the gym I tossed off my sweaty shirt to throw on a clean sweatshirt. I ruffled my hair and pushed it behind my ears. Boss got mad at my appearance the last time he called me to his office. I won't make that mistake again.

We filed into his office. Boss sat behind his desk with a scowl on his face. He stood up and walked in front of Shade and me. He punched Shade across the face, drawing blood. Then he sidestepped to me and raised his callous hand to my face. A slap echoed around my head.

The familiar metallic liquid filled my mouth. I swallowed it and stared into Boss's dark eyes. His eyes travelled between Shade and I.

"You two." He spits the words at us. "You two are my best assassins. Never once have you come back from a mission and not kill the target. If you two didn't fucking hate each other so goddamn much, you'd be on the same fucking team. An unstoppable team at that."

I turned my head towards Shade. His cheek was bright red and where his skin had torn was dripping with blood.

"Now do you two fuckers want to know why I called you in here?"

"Yes Boss," Shade responded swiping his thumb over his cheek.

"I heard about your sparring match a few days ago. The maids reported it when they saw Mazikeen go into the communal bathroom covered in bruises and blood. I honestly don't give a shit if you two want to beat each other up. I only care if you kill each other or you interfere with your mission."

He walked back around and sat at his desk. He opened a drawer taking two identical daggers out. They were sleek with polished silver and green artistry on the handles. He threw one straight at Shade's face. Shade moved to catch it inches away from his face. Boss then threw the other dagger at my heart. I snatched it mid-air on the blade. The dagger didn't hurt as it only nipped my palm. I could tell it needed sharpening.

"Perfectly executed." Boss smiled.

The oak door behind us creaked open and Boss's eyes travelled towards the door. Shade and I stayed like statues waiting for Boss's next orders.

"Shay and Maze, lovely to see you two!" Mrs. Isabella's sweet voice travelled throughout the office. In walked in a skinny lady around her late forties. With chocolate brown hair and light blue eyes.

"Hello, Mrs. Isabella." I bowed.

"I am pleased to see you looking well." Shade also bowed.

"Such good manners, but you two are like my children. Please stand and hug me."

Shade and I awkwardly got close together as we wrapped our arms around Mrs. Isabella's small frame. She released us and stood next to Boss.

"You know honey, maybe they need an activity to do together."

"What did you have in mind, my love?"

Mrs. Isabella looked at Shade and I until a smile crossed her face. "Those daggers you gave them, have them sharpen the others. That way the other is responsible for a good blade?"

"Wonderful idea." Boss faced us. "Now if by any way you two fuck with each other's blade and mess with the mission, I'll have your heads. I don't care if you are my best killers."

Mrs. Isabella simply smiled at us despite her husband's threat. "Get going you two." She urged.

Shade left the office as I followed behind. We walked to the forge to get the stones we used to sharpen the blade. Once inside Shade turned to me and threw the blade at my head. I caught it and threw mine to him.

Silently we went to different workbenches and began to sharpen. I have sharpened many for all my missions so I tuned out the world and went to work. Soon enough I was done and stood in the middle of the room. Shade walked to me and held my dagger in one hand and face his palm openly towards the ceiling with the other. I copy his stance and we held eye contact.

"Both sides." He growled at me.

At the same time we lifted the daggers we sharpened to each other's open palm and dragged two lines across, one for each side. Thin bloodlines drew from our palms. 

With his hips, he shoved me back against a counter that ran along the wall. A smile crept onto his face. He dragged his blade down the inside of my bicep, right under an older scar he too had caused. Most of my body is marked up from his hands.

"Mine is sharper." He sneered.

"I did the better job."

He snatched the blade from my hand and headed towards the door of the forge. He turned back at the last second.

"If I could, I would kill you with this dagger right now."

"One day, you will choke on your own blood at my feet." With my comment, he slammed the door shut. I walked back to the stone and continued to sharpen it until it was to my liking. Tomorrow, I kill again.

Author:

Like, comment, and share my darlings

Xoxoxo