Seven

It had been two weeks since the fights. Over that time Ultan and his men have moved into the spare rooms of the mansion. Along with more men, the gym has become increasingly crowded. The worst of it all is that Shade insists on the new guys getting in first, which puts June and I on the worst equipment. I have kicked a few of the new men's ass, they are not as tough as they look.

Today was an off day from training, so June took me outside to tan on the lawn. The sun warmed my pale skin and the grass was a comfortable surface to lay on instead of the barley padded gym floor.

"Do you think Boss will ever kill Nikolai?" June asked while she stretched her long tanned arms above her head.

"No. He won't kill him. I will though."

"Always with a kill in mind Maze."

"What's wrong with that?"

"Nothing, when we are talking with Boss or mocking Shade, but when it's just you and me I was hoping we could gossip, giggling, and gallop around on the grass with no reason."

"Gallop, really June?" 

"I was on a roll with the 'G' thing. My point is I just wish you would throw on some short shorts, a bra, and tan your pale skin golden with me." 

"This is all over tanning? Because I can do that." I scooted forward to get more under the sun. 

"No. I just wish we could do things that didn't always have to work towards fighting." 

"This is who I am June."

"And I love you nonetheless."

I spent my off days sharpening my knives. I train and practice with them everyday that they get dull rapidly. June rolled her eyes and pulled the knife from my hands. She fingers slipped and she sliced right over her ring finger.

"Fuck Maze." She groaned.

"You know not to touch my knives." I laughed while helping her up to her feet. "Come on the bandages are in the gym."

"We aren't working out today. Right?"

"Nope, we just need to patch that up so you don't bleed everywhere." I smiled.

***

In the gym there were a few men. Either doing some lifting or working the punching bag.

"Here." I taped up June's hand.

"Thanks, even though it was your demon blades that hurt me."

"You'll be fine."

"Alright, I am going to check in with my mom and dad. I'll see you a little for dinner."

June was lucky enough to still have both her family members alive in the mafia. Her mother was another maid that helped out with Sara and her father was one of the chefs on duty. When June and I were younger then would sneak us some desert after a long day of training.

Since I can remember, Boss drilled into my head that June is my partner in this mafia and I should always stick to her side. She is the only one that know who I am outside of the knives and killing. June was assigned to me at birth. Once my parents told Boss they were expecting, my fate was sealed. June chose to follow the assassin path, while I didn't have a choice. You were whatever your parents were.

I lucked out with June though. My only other option for my birth year in this mafia would have been Shade. A team that is constantly fighting will never accomplish anything.

I stopped the nostalgia and walked over to an open punching bag. The only clothes Boss supplied where black and cotton. All campable for fighting in at any given notice. I tossed off my top and kicked off my boots. Once in my bra and shorts I shot punch after punch at the bag.

I got a rhythm started and a healthy bounce in my feet. Sweat began to cover my skin. My black hair was sticking to my cheeks and I tightened my stomach. I felt at peace in this moment. My body was doing what it was built to do. I was designed to kill and programed to be a soulless monster.

Never once have I regretted a killing. Each one was a proud mark I wore. The more corpses I dropped at Boss's feet the more feared my name became. One day I will kill Nikolai and Boss will grant me my freedom. That is my eternal purpose in life. Avenge my parents and free myself from this house.

Lost in thought I swung a backwards kick into the bag and sent it back further than all the others. I heard a grunt sound from behind. One the floor laid Shade. He was sweaty and pissed.

"Of course it's fucking Kenny." I rolled my eyes at the name he called me.

"Watch where you're going before you lose your head." I glared.

I saw how me smiled when he stood on his feet. Shade wanted to fight me again. I moved away from the bag and to the center of the gym. I smiled back to Shade and he stood in a fighting position.

Shade's moves were predictable. He moved with his right arm first, so I ducked right and drove my knee into his chest. While I had him in my control I threw my elbow into his face. Old bruises still showed and I targeted each one. I continued the assault until I knocked him to his knees.

He knelt before me and I unloaded numerous punches to his face. Red covered my body and his face. I lifted my hand. This was just how I killed Ferris two weeks ago. While this would finally get this asshole off my back, Boss was right. I needed his skills to help with the Russians.

Shade looked into my eyes and began to smile. His teeth were glossed from pink with the blood that came from his face. He looked psychotic. I tightened my grip on him but he had the upper hand in the blink of an eye.

I know had my back to the flood and his hand choked my neck. He kept me at the limbo between life and death. I lost control and Shade could end my life. He brought his face close to mine. I stared into his grey eyes that looked clouded with rage and death. I swiftly pulled the knife out of my thigh holder and touched my cheek. He drew a line from my nose back to my ear. It was going to scar just as bad as the one I had given him years before.

With the blood falling off his beaten face onto mine, I started to only see red. He leaned next to my ear and whispered.

"Checkmate."

"Think again." I growled back.

While Shade had taken my blade I had drawn his from his belt and it was aimed right for his heart. Shade's face fell into rage. He shoved himself off me and through my blade into the floor.

"One day it will be to the death."

"And I will kill you." I said flatly. I left Shade in the gym after I retrieve my knife from the ground.

We had this rivalry since the beginning. There can only be one to kill Nikolai and I will be the one that gets to drive my dagger into his heart and watch as the life leaves his eyes.

Author:

Like, comment, and Share my darlings

xoxoxo <3

Thanks for reading:)