Thirteen

"Guests thank you so much for coming and donating to the Anwar foundation." Mrs. Anwar called out from the stairs. "Dance." Her smiled carried to everyone's face.

Shade place my hand on his shoulder and took my other in his hand. Music flooded the air and Shade pulled me into his chest and wrapped his arm tighter around my waist. I allowed him to lead and we waltzed in a slow perfect square.

"Do you have a plan?" I asked breaking the silence.

"Naturally. Only a fool would shoot from the hip. You learned that lesson in school didn't you Kenny?"

I glared at him and pulled him closer to me. "I recall it. I also learned how to shatter a man's windpipe, I could demonstrate it for you." I stopped allowing his body to carry mine with his steps. I had his body locked in my arms. With each step I took over, now I was leading. In charge just the way I like it.

Shade smirked at the transfer of power. I stared into his grey eyes. Usually I would see rage or death looking back at me, instead there was something more lethal, feral almost. I have seen lust in a man's eyes before, this was nothing like it.

"I am shocked you let me lead and toy with you for this long." I whispered

"Isn't the hunt more fun when you let the prey think it's getting away?" He spoke roughly against my head.

There it is. I was waiting for our imaginary banter to stop and the reality to come crashing back to us. After today I am still Mazikeen. A nonexistent monster that serves to kill. Shade will still be a heartless demonic psychopath that has murder in his grey eyes. I suppose we are killing Katherine and Spencer tonight. It's a shame, Kathrine seemed to have a soft life with her CEO sugar daddy. I was never met to be in the sunlight anyway, Katherine was.

The song was coming to an end as Shade moved his hand along my exposed back and down to my waist. No words were shared as I felt myself leaning backwards. His grip on my skin tightened the lower I went. Muscle memory took over. One of my legs slip out from the cut on my dress and locked onto Shade's waist. A smirk spread to his face as he brought me back to my feet.

"I thought I told you never to do that again." He spoke in my ear.

"Promises were meant to be broken, just like your bones."

"Keep talking to me like that and I'll have to put a dent in that pretty little face of yours."

"Aw, you think I'm pretty?" I puckered my lips.

"You're insufferable." Shade quickly kissed my lips and snapped away.

I looked around the room for Mrs. Anwar only to find that all of the guests were staring at us. I guess it was a show Shade and I had put on. Or maybe they saw my knives when I dipped? None of them looked concerned or worried, so I guess they were just staring at the strangers who drew too much attention.

Everyone went back to either talking while others continued to dance. I found Mrs. Anwar talking with Rose Wellison. I dropped Shade's hand and went over to the ladies.

"Good Evening Mrs. Anwar. Nice to see you again Mrs. Wellison. Did you get a chance to meet Spencer?" I gestured to Shade that was approaching us.

"Yes, honey, we had a wonderful conversation about his company prospects."

I turned my attention towards Mrs. Anwar. Up close her features seemed even more angelic. She had soft light green eyes and blonde hair that had perfectly place grey streaks. She smiled at my and brought her hand to rest on my wrist while she spoke.

"Sweetie you look stunning in that silver dress. Your hair is also dark as night, a lovely color on you. Reminds me of a little girl I used to know."

I ignored her comment about the little girl. I had a goal. "Mrs. Anwar, what does your husband do for a living?"

"Marketing and Government contracting. I don't want to bore you with all the ins and outs though."

She was smart. Remaining vague, but still answering.

"Mrs. Anwar, you look breathtaking this evening." Shade spoke while putting himself in between Mrs. Anwar and I.

"Thank you. You look dashing. Do you work with my husband?"

"I have only met the man in passing."

Shade and Mrs. Anwar seemed to hit it off. As the conversation progressed I chimed in with little notes. Talking with her was surprisingly comfortable.

I was brought back to focus when Shade's hand trace up my exposed thigh. Creeping higher and higher until he reach my knives that were strapped to my thigh. All he did was slide one of them down further until it drew a thin line of blood that trickled down my leg. It was painless, but I had no idea what he had planned.

"Darling your bleeding." He rubbed my back while running his thumb over the cut he made.

"It's nothing, just a little blood."

"It is still blood sweetheart. Would you like a bandaid or something?" Mrs. Anwar asked.

"Not necessary. I will just wash it in the restroom and I'll be good as new. Mind helping me?"

"Of course."

I pulled Shade into the restroom and shoved my into the sink.

"I win." I grinned while wiping the blood from my leg.

"No, I got her to say the word."

"You simply cut me and I was the last person to speak before she did. You used me and I won."

"How are you always so infuriating?"

"The kill is mine. Stay out of my way." I shoved past him and set a course for Mrs. Anwar.

I entered the ballroom and my eyes drew to Nikolai. He was talking with Rose, his brow creased in annoyance.

"Tempting isn't it?" Shade whispered against my ear. "Right there for the killing."

I ran my tongue over my red lips sliding my hand to my knives on my thigh. I wasn't going to kill him tonight, I was going to kill Mrs. Anwar. I took a step in her direction when the lights shut off. Screams from women echoed through the room. I felt Shade still at my side. I spun around until we were back to back. He cocked his gun back and grab one of my knives from my thigh.

An outline of a figure approached me. I threw my knife into their chest. They stumbled to the floor. Soon we were surrounded. Shade shot off his gun killing most of the people. I stayed close to his back and threw my knives toward their heads.

More people kept coming rapidly. Shade cursed under his breath as both of his guns were out of bullets. I had thrown all my knives, it was time for hand to hand combat.

I pushed off of Shade's back and to the incoming men. Punching their faces and shoving my heels into their feet. Blood covered my once prefect silver dress. I took the guns from the belts of my enemy and shot them in the head. Others I knocked on the ground and drove a knife I found through their temple.

I tossed Shade the gun as he killed more and more men. He bent down then slicing the throat of a man, I used his back at a lift. Running towards him I jumped off his back and into another. With a quick movement I snapped his neck.

I realized that the room had fallen silent. Shade was nowhere to be found and it had somehow become darker than before. Cool air circled my body as I shifted on my feet.

I heard footsteps coming from behind me, when I turned to look at them a hard object hit my head. I fell onto the marble floor and darkness began to cover me.

Author:

Like, Comment, and Share my Darlings

<3

Thank you for sticking with me this long:)