Twenty-two

I ran from the bathroom. My heart was beating out of my chest.

I am a Russian.

In my veins flowed the very blood I wish to spill. I spent forever chasing and hunting my own kind. The lioness turned out to be her own prey.

The only one to confirm everything is the man who took me. Boss himself.

Shade was nowhere to be found. I needed to get back to Italy and find out if all this was true. If my parent really were spies for the Anwar's and if Boss has been lying to me.

I spotted a row of glass doors. I bolted towards them but a hand caught me.

"Where are you headed Kenny?"

"Italy."

"Why? I've killed Nikolas and his gang of men. You know what that means?"

"You win."

"You never make anything easy, what changed Kenny? I thought we were playing?"

"Not anymore. I found something very interesting, a lead to my life long goal."

"You found a way to kill me in the bathroom."He mused.

"It's personal Shade get out of my way." I shoved past him.

"What about the bodies or Nikolas' head? Boss' honor?"

"Cassio isn't my Boss anymore." 

"Well well well, little Kenny is deciding to bite the hand that so generously fed her all those years."

"More like breaking away from Stockholm Syndrome."  

I didn't wait for his response I had to get moving. I was on the hunt, I had a target in mind and my head was pounding with the new purpose. I felt the rage from my heart surge up to my brain and claw at the back of my skull waiting to get out. 

Outside the wind whipped against my bare legs shooting my dress all around. I ditched the heels at the door and headed to the parking lot.  

Fancy cars were being handed off to the valets to be parked. Lunging forward I dragged an old man out of his black sleek sports car. He landed on the ground with a thud. I twisted the keys back in and revved the engine. It wasn't until I heard a silent sob next to me that I realized I had a stowaway. 

"Please don't hurt me-I was just doing all this to make a little money." 

"Listen darling" I stepped harder on the gas while weaving through cars. "We all do what we have to do to survive. I'll slow down at this curb up front and give you three seconds to get your ass out of my car. After three seconds, I'll have to gut you." 

She only nodded her head and wrapped her long pal fingers around the door handle. As soon as I stopped the car she jumped out and started running. 

I pressed on. The speedometer was off the charts, but with a full tank of gas I would make it back in no time. 

***

It was around two am when I pulled my car into the servant garage of the Cassio mansion. The guards were alert, but I was able to slip back in without them faltering. 

I went in through the dorm window that I shared with June. 

My feet make no noise in the pitch black room. I heard the small rustle of bed sheets that catch my attention. I go to her bed and shake her awake, covering her mouth before she fully sturs. 

"June." I hiss in her ear. 

Her eyes shoot open. I watch her darken eyes examine my face before a glare breaks out on her face and she sits up in her bed.