Twenty-four

Shade and I went into the hallway and headed for the stairs. All the lights in the mansions were out and thanks to the soundproof walls, no one heard June scream.

It will be a fun little surprise for them tomorrow, at least for those who live to see the morning.

"So, Boss' room?" Shade looked down the clean marble hallway that had one huge glossy oak door at the end.

"No, office. I need to fact-check everything. When I face him, I want to break his soul. Boss can withstand torture. I need a blow no man could take."

As we rushed to the office the blood that still coated us left slippery trails behind us. Shade and I were making quite the stain on Boss' very controlled lifestyle.

We opened the door to find Marcello asleep at the desk. He was drooling on some files but completely out.

Shade didn't bother turning on the lights and instead went to Marcello's side and slammed his fists on the desk. Once he stirred awake, Shade spun the chair to face me and restrained Marcello's hands behind the seat.

"Maze is that you?" He squinted.

"Did you know?" I screamed.

"What?"

"Did you know who I was, who I am!"

"Of course. Who did you think pushed your teacher to follow through on his, urges." He smiled.

This fucker is smiling at me like he didn't just say that he played a hand in childhood rape. I have a larger pray tonight so I'll end it swiftly. I draw my blaze and his eyes enlarge of fear for his coming death.

"Did Shade find out who he is?"

"What are you talking about?" Shade spoke darkly.

"Nothing important I guess."

"Does Monte know?"

"Only the heir needs to know."

"Guess Monte has a lot of things to catch up on then." Shade laughed.

I cut his head off cleanly with my knife. His head dropped to his lap and another river of blood began to form. I shoved the headless body back against the wall and dug through the files in the drawers.

There was one left to check, it was locked.

"Move Kenny." Shade shoved in front of me and jammed a knife into the lock. At the sound of spitting wood, the drawer was open. Many file folders were sitting on top of each other.

On the little tab that sticks out of the top, names of assassins were written.

I spotted the two that were marked Shade and Mazikeen, to my suprise, they were also the fullest. My bloody hands drenched the folder as I dropped Shade's on the desk and opened my own. My eyes started to scan the first page when a stamp of footsteps could be heard on the marble floor.

"Bastard probably hit the safety alarm," Shade grunted to take the gun out from under Boss' desk.

"Find Cassio and bring him to the chamber, I'll get Mrs. Isabella." I picked up both folders and brought them close to my body.

Shade and I ran to the door as three armed men came barreling in. All in black suits with loaded guns. I tossed the folders on the floor and stepped to Shade's side.

Without breaking eye contact with our next three victims, Shade grabbed me by the shoulders and threw me into one of the men.

I had my knife handy and stabbed it into the base of his neck without a hesitant second. Shade held two knives and sliced through the jugular of both men. They fell to the floor dropping their guns. Shade and I both had two fully loaded guns.