Four

Today was cleaning day. Cleaning day meant that Boss was having important people coming over and wanted the mansion to be not only spotless, but my role as an assassin today would include lining the halls to intimidate the visitors.

Sara, an elderly woman, and head maid woke the whole basement up at six in the morning. She allowed June and I to get our run in and some light sparring between each other before we had to start cleaning.

Once we showered, Sara assigned Shade and I to the dining and meeting room while June and Carlos get the kitchen. All of the other staff members were either preparing for dinner tonight or working on the numerous other rooms. The mansion was huge and with the regular cleaning staff, it would take at least a week to get it perfect. However, with all of us helping we could get it done in a few hours.

I worked quickly to pull on some jeans and dark boots. With a regular black t-shirt on top, I let my hair fall freely around my face. I grabbed my knives off my bed and put one in my bra, one in my boot, one on my belt, and one in the strap around my thigh. Lastly my pistol to my belt. I was prepared for anything.

I headed to the maid's quarters and Sara gave me a broom and chemicals. I went to the meeting room first to see Shade already cleaning the shiny glass-topped wooden table. He hadn't noticed I had walked in until he heard me drop the broom. In a smooth motion, he grabbed a blade from his sleeve and threw it at my head. I didn't even blink while it swooshed past my head. I glared at him and he sighed.

"I was hoping I could call it an accident." I rolled my eyes at his comment and pulled the blade from the wall.

"You want to clean the tables and chairs and I get the windows and floor?"

"Works for me."

We didn't speak anymore. Shade polished the table and chairs and I swept the floor. I tried to think of my earliest memories at the mansion. My mind only goes back to training. Of Shade shoving me and pressing the practices knives to my neck and all the blood he poured from me. As I swept the cream-colored tile I looked at my hands. Tiny scars traced all over them. Either from combat or when I first started using blades. I used to practice fighting all night and my hands would slip.

I pushed the memories away and continued cleaning the floors. After a little I had all the windows cleaned and Shade finished dusting a fake plant in the corner.

"The chandelier." He pointed. I followed his eyes and could see the sun's rays hitting off the cobwebs.

"One of us has to clean it."

"You do it."

"Why won't you do it? Afraid of heights."

"No, I won't because you need to hang off the chain that suspends it and between the two of us, you are lighter. So get your ass up there."

I picked up a towel and spray some cleaner on it before I stepped onto the table. With a swift jump, my free hand caught the middle metal bar. I used my arms to lift myself higher. Now I had my hips digging into the metal frame while I made quick work to clean off the cobwebs. Once I made sure I got them all I completely let go heading for the table below me. Before I hit it Shade's arms reached out and caught me. I was surprised he had caught me and not let me land myself, but then he dropped me on my ass at his feet.

"Why not just let me fall?"I groaned rubbing my butt as I stood.

"Because the table is glass-topped. If you would have landed either your knife or gun would have cracked it. I am not getting punished for your idiocy."

I rolled my eyes again and grabbed the cleaning supplies and made my way to the dining room. The cooking staff already had the table set so all we had to do was the windows, chairs, and floors. I went straight to doing to floors and Shade worked on the chairs. Staff members went in and out of the room while we worked.

Boss then made his way in as Shade and I finished. Along with Boss came a shorter and older man. He was dress in green and looked miserable. They were surrounded by various men, no doubt guards of some kind.

"Ultan, I would like you to meet my two best assassins. Mazikeen and Shade. You two, this is the head of the Irish Mafia. They are based in Boston, Massachusetts of America."

We both bowed our heads in respect. This was the guest we had spent all day cleaning for. Probably Boss's way of trying to get more soldiers when he finally goes head to head with the Russians.

"This woman. She does not look like much." I felt his judgment run over my body. I heard a small chuckle from Shade about Ultan's comment on my appearance. What a prick.

"Trust me Ultan, Mazikeen could kill anyone you wish her to."

"Shall we have a match then?"

"What did you have in mind?" Boss asked raising an eyebrow.

"Well, your two best assassins versus my best two fighters."

"Would you like it to the death?"

"Yes, I love a good blood match. They will both battle my two men here." Ultan pointed behind him to two men, both of Irish descent and larger than I. Shade would have an easy time, but I will take down these men.

"It will be tomorrow at noon. I will allow Shade and Mazikeen to be paired together if that would make it easier for her."

"Nonsense Sir. I can kill him on my own with my bare hands."

The men behind Ultan and Boss started to laugh, but Ultan looked surprised at my offer.

"Well Leon, I don't know if she can kill, but this one's definitely got the edge."

With that, they all exited the dining room and headed into the meeting room. Shade was quick to move to my side.

"Perhaps I won't have to kill you, after all, you will get yourself killed all on your own."

"I can handle him."

"See the thing is I don't think you can. I beat your ass and I wasn't even going full force."

"Mark my words I will kill that man tomorrow."

"I am taking your knives when you die, but it should be a treat to watch your lifeless body fall to the mat."

Author:

Like, comment, and share my darlings

Xoxoxo

Ooo a fight till the death. I love a dramatic moment.