Twenty-one

Shade returned with two smoked old fashions and some starting chips for us to play. I sat in one of the two empty seats. An old man sat to my left. He was switching between nursing his vodka and taking a smoke from his cigar that probably costs more than my existence. Well that's actually not worth much, maybe 17 of my existences.

One of the other table mates finally noticed me. He coughs to clear his scratchy throat. The dealer points to allow me in, but I wave to wait out this round.

"Hello Miss. Are you here with someone or are you looking for someone to take you home?"

This senile shit head is asking if I'm a hooker. I'd say a new low but, I've been inferred as worse. Granted I'm guessing the light sheer dress, stockings, and sky high heels don't help. I mustered a smile and rest my hands on the table. A pawned off golden ban rested on my finger. The man's smile drop as he leaned back into his seat.

"Married, actually." I drew the words out with a smile.

"What's the lucky gentleman's name?" Another man from the table cut in.

"Spencer Crane."

"He is fortunate man to have married such a goddess." He continued while placing a quick kiss to the back of me hand.

"Most fortunate man in the world to have found my beautiful Katherine." Shades voice came from behind me. He sat in the vacant seat next to me and rest one arm around my shoulders and began to sip on his drink.

I reached for the second drink Shade brought, but the rude man from early didn't like my taste.

"Spencer, your wife thinks she is having an old fashioned, allow me to buy her some sparkling water or a fruit cocktail instead."

I was going to explode on his misogynistic ass, but Shade's hand rested on my exposed thigh. He traced slow circles. I immediately calmed a little.

"Sir I understand you views of what you think a woman can handle, but my wife is as tough as nails. If she wishes an old fashioned, she shall have an old fashioned." Shade smiled and handed me the extra drink.

I happily sipped it allowing the cold liquid to freshly burn down my throat. Shade took this chance to kiss my temple and throw some chips down.

"What should we bet on Darling?"

"Red. I've always been fond of the color."

The chips were placed and the dealer spun the wheel. The white ball came swirling out of a canal. I didn't bother to get nervous about the outcome. Our chances of success were high and this was only the first of many rounds.

The dealer pasted us our winnings. The ball landed in thirteen red. Shade leaned against me and bantered with the men around the table. I continued to tell the dealer what to place it on and I won every time. While this is a game of luck, it involves understanding the probabilities of the wins too.

I changed my pick to green. I didn't get it the first two times but thirdly it was mine. Shade was invited to talk with the house about some hotel perks. This was all a front to keep him at the hotel so the house could make their money back. Of course the other men suggest I try the slots while my husband is busy.

"Darling you can come with me. I adore your company." Shade rubbed my back and pulled me close to him.

"I think I'll try the slots. After I powder my nose." I smiled. I turned to leave but Shade still had his arms around me.

He twirled me back into his chest and dipped me backwards. Just like he had at the ball. My hands gripped to his shoulders as he pressed his lips to mine. It wasn't a sexual kiss, it was almost like an 'I'll miss you'.