Chapter 34

~The next day~
Groff's POV

Waking up wasn't all too great for me. My arm still hurts and the back pain I had a few days ago decided that today would be an amazing day to show up again. Perfect timing. The only thing comforting this morning was that Seb didn't want me out of sight. I woke up with him on my other shoulder which was funny, seeing that his body was in a weird position. He followed me almost everywhere all day.

Lin wasn't really talking today. I guess I really shook him up yesterday when I told him to shut his mouth. I didn't mean to; I just couldn't control myself. I still feel bad, but I know if I apologize again then he would tell me to not apologize. All I can really do is give him side hugs and at least try to give and show him all the love I can while I can't use my other arm.

On the other hand, David decided that he wanted to hang out with me today. I admit, it's been a while and I really do miss talking to him. We sat in my dad's truck bed and just talked for a bit. "Hey David?" He looked up at me and waited for me to continue. "What do you do? Like work wise."

"Well... I work out here with Dad. It's not really what I wanted, but at least I have a roof aver my head and food in my stomach." David wouldn't say that kind of stuff, usually.

I nodded and said "I'm just suggesting this, but here me out... you could be a director-"

"You can't be serious" he said laughing.

I smiled and told him "No, really! You would be really good. I mean you have experience."

"From where? The barn" he said still laughing at my suggestion. "Look man, I would absolutely love to, I have a degree and everything, but where am I going to direct anything? How am I going to direct anything?"

"Come to New York? I have friends. They could get you something and maybe you could direct a musical? I can get you your own place if you'd like" I said kind of pitching my voice towards the end of my sentence.

He looked down still smiling. "That's really nice, but what would Dad think if I said I didn't want to work with him anymore?"

"Oh god, David. Don't start with that. They literally let me go on tour right after I left high school instead of going to college. I'm sure he'd understand that you don't want to train and race horses for the rest of your life."

He nodded and looked back up at me "I'll think about it."

"Good." It was silent for a bit. I admired the tree above us. The leaves were still falling from the branches. A random memory popped into my head. "Do you remember when you accidentally shot me with a your BB gun" I said laughing.

"Oh yeah" he said laughing along with me. "Dad was so pissed! He grounded me for it even though I repeatedly told him it was an accident."

"Sorry about that. It was partially my fault. I literally could not stop aggressively crying about it. I was seven after all."

"You got a point." He paused then asked me "you want a drink?"

"A drink? Like alcohol" I asked thinking about the last time I drank.

"Yeah obviously." I agreed and he walked off to go get it.

I really hope Lin doesn't say anything. I mean I'm just spending time with my brother who I haven't seen in eight years. I'd say it's pretty reasonable. As long as I don't drink in front of Sebby, I think I'm all good.

David came back with a freaking cooler of beer handing me one. I was surprised, but I didn't say anything. He opened mine for me and raised the bottle. "To your return and to our brotherhood." I smiled touching our glasses taking a sip. There was a comfortable moment of silence. "You know Mom kind of went crazy when you left."