Chapter 44

Groff's POV

Eight words is all it took. I knew exactly who it was. "Jacob, please leave me alone" I said trying for my voice not to quiver.

"Don't be scared. Remember, I'll protect you like I always did."

"You never protected me, you hurt me. You don't know how hard my life has been since I met you." He touched my arm and I harshly swung it away. "What part of leave me alone do you not understand!"

I felt Lin's presence come by. He got in between us. "Hey, could you back off" Lin said, anger in his voice like I've never heard.

"Is this your new slut? I thought you could do better" he said laughing at Lin.

I was red. Angry. My face, anxiety written. Lin pushed him back, making Jacob fall to the ground. I didn't want to see this. Zandy came in trying to push them away from each other. It was getting worse by the minute. "Just stop" I yelled on the verge of tears. They didn't stop. Lin was winning, but I didn't want him hurt. "Lin, please."

He stopped and got off of Jacob. He grabbed his collar lifting his head a little off the ground. "Touch him or even lay your fucking eyes on him again and I will kick your mother fucking ass. Do you hear me, asshole?" Jacob nodded, scared and out of breath. He let go of his collar and let his head fall back to the ground.

I was frozen in my tracks. My body was getting heat waves, my eyes were watery, I was shaking all over. I felt someone hug me, but I didn't bother to see who it was. He checked my pulse on my neck. I couldn't hear anything, but I knew it was racing. He hugged me again and I felt his body quiver. I didn't want to blackout. Not in front of about a hundred people. I tried calming down. I felt someone grab my arm and somehow they got me outside. I sat down at a wall. My hearing was coming back. I was finally calming down. I felt my chest rising and falling. I tried controlling it and stopped over time.

"How should we take him home?"

"We have to wait until he calms down."

"The subway station is right there. I think we'll be fine."

The last voice was Lin's. He was squatting in front of me, holding my hands. I haven't held them back yet, so I did. Everything was ok, except the drowsiness. I could manage.

"Groff, we're going home, ok" Lin said kissing my cheek. "You're safe now."

We walked to the subway station and went back home. As soon as I got in the house, I took off my shoes and sat on the couch. I could hear them whispering behind me. "Hey Jon we have to get going" Lea said sitting next to me on the couch and putting her head on my shoulder.

I gave her a tight hug like I always do and stood up to say bye to Zandy. We walked them out and waved them down as they drove off. Lin grabbed my arm and we slowly went inside. Once we were inside we got to the couch and laid down there. He laid on top of me, kind of like a child. I ran my fingers through his hair as he tried not to fall asleep. "Room" he asked half asleep. I nodded and we went back to our room, showered, and went to bed. "Jon, I'm so sorry" Lin whispered getting in bed next to me. "I told you that you'd be fine but you weren't."

"It's not your fault." My voice was so hoarse from not talking and tiredness. "You can't control how the universe works." I leaned into him and he held my head to his chest. I wanted to cry, but I didn't want to seem weak.

"G'night Groffsauce" Lin said kissing my forehead. I didn't say anything back since I really just didn't want to talk. "You'll be ok" he whispered while rubbing my back.

I'm holding back everything at this point. I caught a sob in my throat, and I can't breathe. I breathed out through my mouth with a short sob coming out after. Lin held me tighter. I don't deserve this kind of attention. I know I don't deserve to be loved like how he's loving me. I broke. At this point I'm uncontrollably sobbing with him trying to comfort me. "I'm so sorry."