Chapter 18 : The aftermath

Ray leaned back in her chair, closing her eyes in frustration because her brain was an utter mess

Like the beginning of every school year, despite it being a couple of weeks in, she wasn't at all used to the volume of work. Whatever she had learned last year had already escaped her mind, and simply looking at the extended math work sheet made her head hurt in hopelessness. And at this point, even the relaxing playlist infiltrating her ears didn't calm down her nerves.

And that wasn't even the worst thing.

The past few days, Ray had been getting bombarded with hate. Each time she opened any of her social medias, her feed was full of nasty things written about every single thing she did. People were analyzing clips of her and Tommy, shaming her for all the things she had said, even if they were lore. The worst thing about it all had been the death threats. The dox threats. The identity exposure threats.

It was all just too much.

And of course, Philza had apologized to her profusely. He took the entire blame, him and many other of her online friends coming to her defense online. Toby, Alex, Ranboo and Karl were there for her when she wanted to rant to someone. And whenever she was on her own well... she would simply break down. 

And just in the middle of her thinking, she heard the distant sound of her door opening.

With the corner of her eye, Ray looked towards it, seeing the familiar figure standing in the door frame. She held back from rolling her eyes, leaning over her computer and pausing the music.

"Are you studying?" His monotone, strict voice echoed across the room and Ray sighed.

"Yes, I am."
"It doesn't seem like that to me." He shook his head disapprovingly, polished shoes stepping towards her. 

His figure hovered over her work, frowning as he scanned the math problems that she was struggling on.

"Are you struggling with this?" He asked, the judgement clear in his voice.

Ray closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. "No..." She answered, although her tone was quiet and unsure.

The man quickly caught up on that. "You are? Come on Raelynn, you've learned this before. There's no reason for you to find these difficult."

"Math is supposed to be difficult. It takes me time to figure out the best method to use for each question." Ray gritted her teeth. "And I'd appreciate it if you'd left so I can focus on my homework."

"Don't talk back to me." His words sliced sharp like a knife, making Ray painfully swallow.

"If you need help with any subject, I'll book your tutor to come more often. I expect the best from you Raelynn." The man straightened back up, staring down at her in a belittling manner. "Don't disappoint me."

"Father, I-" Rae began in a more begging tone, but was promptly interrupted.

"I'll be on my way now. Make sure to finish all of your work, and complete all the extra credit. Also, get ready for your violin lesson. It seems like you've been slacking off these days." He commanded harshly, barely sparing her another glance before leaving the room.

And Ray could only lay her head down onto her arms, and sob.

🡆

"What is up chat?" Tommy exclaimed in his usual hyped up voice. "How are we doing today?"

Like almost every day this week, Tommy made the time to stream. Although, as he would usually say, he was more of a 'Youtuber' now, he wanted the viewers to enjoy a stream of his once in a while. Especially because of how deeply he was involved in the Dream SMP lore.

Soon enough, he opened up minecraft and logged into the server. He was greeted by the small wooden holiday home that Ray had built for him, and he began just roaming around, clicking tab once in a while whilst chatting with his viewers.

After a couple of minutes, his brows furrowed.

"Hold on a second chat." He muttered, turning to his other screen. He quickly orientated himself on discord, clicking on the familiar handle before he began typing quickly.

TommyInnit
where are you?

NightmareNyx
I dont think ill make it to the stream today

Tommyinnit
why?
youer supposed to be here for the lore

NightmareNyx
I know, im sorry
I shouldve told you sooner
but I really cant play today, im sorry

TommyInnit
what do i tell my chat?
they will ask where you are

NightmareNyx
trust me they wont

TommyInnit
wha

NightmareNyx
igtg
just make up some excuse for me and have your stream

Tommy let out a harsh sigh, clicking back onto his minecraft tab.

"Alright chat, Nyx can't make it today. But that's completely fine, she's no fun anyways." He exclaimed sarcastically.

Confusion took over his features as he watched the chat roll in, noticing how many negative reactions the slight mention of her cause and the volume of comments that had to be deleted by moderators. But Tommy didn't think much of it, conducting his stream as usual.

Serious: Although the 'jokes' Fundy and KSI made were completely wrong, inappropriate and hurtful, it does not give anybody the right to send them death threats

Serious: Although the 'jokes' Fundy and KSI made were completely wrong, inappropriate and hurtful, it does not give anybody the right to send them death threats. I won't be making excuses for them, but we should aim to educate, not slander or cancel. It is your choice and your choice only whether you are willing to forgive them or not, but I beg you to stay responsible. Because although it may seem harmless and just a way to express your disappointment and rage, your actions can have terrible consequences if things get out of hand.

Thanks for listening to my ted talk