Chapter 50 : Climax

The dining room was silent, the clanging of silver cutlery being the only source of sound

For the first time in 3 years, the Marigolds were having a meal together. Even Ben attended despite magnitude of work he had in London the next day. And just like the last time this happened 3 years prior, everything was very awkward.

The tension was pressing Ray's shoulders downwards as she stared at the Ceasar salad on the plate before her. Her eyes refused to leave her plate, not even going towards her brother Ben.

Of course she didn't want to be there. Who would in her situation? However, she didn't want to hear another talk of her being 'rude' and 'insufferable' considering how miserable she already was, so she simply decided to wait it out for a couple more minutes.

As her father finished his medium rare steak, a maid instantly rushed up to retreive his dirty plate. Simultaneously, he looked over towards Ben.

"So, Benjamin." He spoke grimly, and Ben instantly tensed up as he looked towards his father.

"Yes?" 

"I heard that you're investing in property now." The latter exclaimed as he reached out for his glass of wine. "Where exactly?"

"Oh, just some apartment buildings in London and such." Ben retorted with a small smile.

His father did not reciprocate the gesture and after taking a small sip he spoke again. "I hope that it doesn't affect the time you spend on the company."

"Of course not. I will always prioritize the business." The boy quickly replied, and his father hummed.

"Good, good."

He then looked over towards Ray, who instantly felt his cold glare on her.

"I hope that your sister learns from you." Her father added as he sipped on his wine. "I take that you're aware of what happened with her?"

"Yes... yes, I know." Ben replied a bit quieter this time, also looking down into his lap.

His father's eyes narrowed. "Are you not going to admit to it?"

"What?"

"That you're the one who sent her over to that... place." The old man retorted, the word 'place' dripping off his tongue like poison. Ray couldn't help but cringe at the disgust in his voice.

Ben immediately looked up at him. "Father, I-"

"I don't think you understand the magnitude of the issue, Benjamin." His father interrupted, clearly getting more worked up. "By helping her you're only encouraging this hurtful and lowly behavior." 

Ray's fists clenched tightly onto the end of her t-shirt, and she bit her lip in anger.

"I'm also guessing that you've known about this little hobby of hers prior to this incident." Her father continued pressing. "I am very disappointed that you did not inform me of it."