Chapter 40 : Finally free

The 7-eleven was uncomfortably quiet and very, very dirty

Ray had to skip over a puddle of some strange drink that had been spilled on the floor, yet the worker didn't ever seem bothered to try to clean it up.

She approached the energy drink shelves, looking at the huge selection in front of her. There were many drinks that she didn't recognize, but didn't really want to try, so she just grabbed a small can of Dr.Pepper and decided to roll with it. Just then, Tommy appeared by the end of the isle, also skipping over the spilled drink and walking towards her.

"Uhm so I forgot my wallet, d'you have yours?" He asked, clearly a bit awkward.

Ray subtly nodded, and the two made their way to the cash register.

After paying the half-dead looking employee there, the two kids finally exited the shop, and a wave of fresh, autumn air immediately struck them.

"So... who was that on the phone?" Tommy asked quietly, clearly after a lot of thought and patience. He realized that the question probably wasn't proper, but couldn't really help his curiosity.

Ray pulsed her lips together, tightening the grip around the can in her hand. But before she could turn towards the boy and tell him to mind his own business, she walked right into someone's back.

The two stumbled, and Tommy quickly rushed to catch Ray's elbow before she could fall. As she stabilized herself, the rather tall and buff man whom she had accidentally bumped into turned around, a threatening look on his face.

"What the actual fuck is your problem?!" He half yelled angrily.

The two kids swallowed, vulnerable under his intense gaze.

"I-" Ray struggled, but quickly got a hold of herself. "I'm sorry sir."

"Sorry? Is that all you can say?!" The man yelled back, then raised a hand which held a glass bottle. "Half my fucking beer spilled!"

Despite feeling intimidated to death, Tommy tried to mediate the situation, quietly walking in front of Ray to face the man head on.

"She didn't do it on purpose. We're genuinely sorry." He spoke, as calmly as he possibly could.

But the man did not seem convinced. "I fucking hate unashamed foreigners like yourself." He closed in, and his breath stunk of alcohol as it fanned Tommy's face. "Think you can come in here and ruin it for everyone here. Why don't you just fuck off to where you came from? Fucking shrimp looking motherfucker." He spat.

The insult, as minor as it was, managed to offend Ray, who immediately pushed herself in front of Tommy. "What the fuck is your problem? We said sorry, didn't we? Why don't you just take it and go?"

As the man's expression became even more twisted, Tommy turned to Ray in worry. "Ray, stop i-"

"And oh shocker! You also came from where we came prick, you're not native to here either." The girl continued agitated.