Chapter 49 : The final push

Another week had passed, and Ray was getting desperate

Each day it was the exact same routine. Wake up, get ready for school, slave away studying for 5 hours, come home home, do homework or violin practice, eat dinner, sleep. And that over and over again, and she was truly getting sick of it.

Streaming was her guilty pleasure. An escape from her monotonous life. But now that that was gone, Ray felt like her soul had been ripped away from her. She had to hold in tears every night realizing just how much she hated her life. It all sucked.

And because her newly-found insomnia wouldn't let her sleep for hours on end at night, she had a lot of time to think. What was next? Was she going to just live like this, sad and pathetic? How will she explain this to all her friends? What does she want to do with her life?

And someone always came up when those thoughts came around- Tommy.

She'd seen him around in school. He always gave her strange looks- as if expecting something from her. Ray still had his phone after all, so she guessed it was about that. However she couldn't do much with her bodyguard watching her every move.

But somehow thinking about him made her drown in fear. If she doesn't do anything, would he be disappointed in her? Would he never look at her the same again? Ray couldn't help but think about how much he'd been trying to help her. After all, other than Diana and Celine, he knew the most about her. She didn't want to be a disappointment to anyone else, because she was already one in the eyes of her parents.

Weakly, Ray shifted under her bed sheets to the side of her bed. There she stepped down onto the floor and shoved her hand under her bed. With ease she pulled out the phone which had been left untouched for a good couple of days now. It's not that Ray didn't want to talk to anyone, she just needed time to think.

As she climbed back onto her bed and drowned herself under her covers, she unlocked the phone and instantly turned down the brightness. It was almost out of battery, at a mere 15%.

Partially forgetting this wasn't her own phone, as well as the fact she was exhausted, Ray clicked onto the gallery and began swiping through the photos. None were really showstopping, often just selfies with other creators, pictures of random pretty views or objects, receipts, etc. The girl just mindlessly swiped through, just glad to have her eyes busy.

However, her finger stopped moving as she came upon a picture. It was dark, blurry, and clearly shot either in a hurry, or the photographer was absolute trash at taking pictures. But Ray recognized what was on the picture. It was the central park, the one that her and Tommy had gone to in the middle of the night on the day they finally decided to make up and become friends.

Ray was quite confused- she never saw him take this picture. But it made her feel warm inside that he did. It made her think that it was more of a commemorative gesture rather than a piece of photography, as if he'd actually valued it. It was sweet and kind, and Ray instantly felt her mood lighten up.