Chapter 24 : Daddy issues

daddy issues are so romanticized these days that it almost feels uncomfy to use this title :/

Ray felt herself clenching her fists as she walked down the quiet hallway. Her anxiety was skyrocketing: she was trembling, sweating, and she felt as if the walls were enclosing on her to suffocate her.

Who would've known that going to ask your parent for permission could be this nerve-wrecking.

Ray wished the walk had been longer, but sadly, she was soon standing in front of the giant wooden door to her father's study. It was a regular door, just like any other, but she felt like upon opening it a monster will jump out and devour her. Didn't help with the stress at all.

The girl took a good moment to calm down, attempting to control her breathing and control her expression as well as she could. Yet her efforts were barely working as her nerves didn't subdue, on the contrary, they only got more intense.

'Better now than never.'
She sucked in a breath, and raised her fist to place a firm knock on the hollow wood.

It didn't take long for her to receive a muffled 'come in' from inside the room and Ray fixed up her fascial expression before entering.

The study was huge. It's walls lined with rows upon rows of bookshelves, full of all sorts of folders, documents and books. There were a few cabinets filled with probably the same thing, containing the most sensitive information about her father's company.

The man himself sat at the far end of the room, right beside the enormous window that stretched from the ceiling to the floor. He was positioned in a comfortable black leather chair, behind a rather long desk that housed his computer, many documents and a tablet.

Ray bit her lip knowing that her father didn't even bother looking up or acknowledging her. He simply continued writing something in his personal limited edition pen that he was so well known for.

Taking small and careful steps in order to not make too much noise that could irritate her father, Ray ended up right in front of his desk. She may have been standing over him, but it didn't make her feel any more powerful or confident. No, she immediately felt inferior as his hollow cold eyes slid up to meet hers. 

She broke eye contact immediately.

"I'm busy. Make it quick." Her father grumbled out, turning his attention back to his work.

Ray had to swallow down a lump in her dry throat to even continue with what she had to say. Immediately she felt like asking her father out of all people for permission was a terrible idea. But she couldn't turn back now. 

"So uhm..." She began awkwardly, begging herself not to stutter in front of him. She couldn't show weakness, that's how she'd been brought up. "There's an event in London that I'd really like to attend. It's 3 days and begins on Saturday next week, so it will be during my autumn break. Then it happens in the US for 3 days too, and I really want to go."