Chapter 19 : Worry

After an hour and a half, Tommy took a big sip of water as soon as he wrapped up his stream

Somehow he felt weirdly uncomfortable. The ambience of the entire stream was strange, especially the hundreds of unexplainably rude comments, most directed at Nyx. And despite not really being good friends with the girl, he wanted to know what was up.

After some thought, Tommy decided to call up Tubbo, someone who he could always confide in.

"Hello?" Toby picked up the discord call almost immediately.

"Hey Toby." Tommy hummed into the mic.

"Hi."

"I have a question."

"What is it?"

"Did something happen while I've been off of social media?"

Toby clearly paused, the line going silent for a couple of seconds before he finally spoke. "You really don't know?"

"Don't know what?" Tommy's brows furrowed.

"Didn't Phil message you at all?"

"No, he can't really. I still have him blocked from a few days ago because he was making fun of me for being woman-less." The boy let out a loud laugh, but quickly noticed that it wasn't reciprocated.
"Is it that bad?"

"Go on twitter, search up Ray, and you'll see."

Still confused as hell, Tommy quickly typed in "twtter.com" into his search bar and hit enter. He followed Toby's instructions, and began scrolling through the countless of recent tweets, brows furrowing.

"What the fuck."

"Yeah." Toby sighed in resignation.

"What happened?"

"On his stream, Phil accidentally let it slip that you guys don't get along. Understandably, Ray got most of the hate because 1. She has a smaller fanbase than yours, 2. Her role in the lore is very toxic and people still have no idea how to differentiate the SMP characters from the actual streamers and 3. She's a woman. Plain and simple."

"Why didn't anyone tell me?!" Tommy exclaimed, still reading the thousands of tweets in shock."

"We all just kind of assumed you knew but didn't want to do anything about it..." Toby sounded guilty as he muttered into his microphone.

Tommy was completely taken aback by that, jaw dropping wide. His hands even stopped moving, and he disassociated for a short second before continuing to speak.

"Are you serious? Listen, I may not like her, but I'm not an asshole. And all of you guys assumed that I was too stuck up to speak out about it?! What the fuck?!?!?" He was clearly angry as he raised his voice at his microphone.

"I'm sorry Tommy, I didn't mean it like that." Toby defended in a pleading voice. "But you have to admit- Ray is the one making the efforts to get on good terms with you. You aren't. So it's easy to assume that you just... don't want to help her."

Tommy was absolutely dumbfounded. He was mad, he really was. Some of his closest friends did not believe in him and made such terrible assumptions about him behind his back.

But Tubbo was right. He had been an absolute dick to Ray. He didn't know what came over him: maybe it's because they met in a time that Tommy was at his lowest. Or because of the circumstance: Dream lying about everything. 

But the boy decided to swallow down his rage, immediate worry washing over him. Even though they weren't on good terms, he didn't want to be a horrible person.

"Is she okay?"

"Huh?"

"Ray. Is she alright?"

"She says she is, but I doubt it. Some of the stuff that I've seen about her online lately... the backlash is really harsh Tommy. We'll have to do something about it eventually."

"I know, I know. I will." The boy muttered, already brainstorming ways of dealing with the situation.

"Alright, I got to go now. I'm glad that we sorted this out, and again, I'm really sorry about everything." Toby sounded genuienly apologetic.

"It's alright, don't worry about it." Tommy assured. "Bye."

"Good night!" 

And then they both left the call.

Now with a much heavier burden swallowing him up, Tommy leaned back in his chair with a prolonged sigh. He felt sick to the stomach- knowing how intense the backlash was. And he hasn't even seen the most of it, there were probably people DMing Ray on the daily, telling her to kill herself.

'Why am I so stupid.'
He scolded himself mentally, head hanging low in shame.

After a few minutes of thought, he decided to pick up his call and DM Ray, knowing that she wasn't online on discord. He wanted to solve this as soon as possible, so that there was no more hate sent her way.

He opened up his private Instagram, not too surprised at the various messages he had yet to open. But what did confuse him was the person that popped up at the top, having sent a message just half an hour earlier.

NightmareNyx.
Hey
Im sorry for not being online today
I hope your stream went well without me
And dw
Theres only like 1 stream left before the lore on the SMP will come to a pause because of twitchcon
Again, im sorry
And i hope you have a great evening

The edge's of Tommy's lips came up in amusement at the sheer formality of the message.

What surprised him the most is that Ray hadn't mentioned the situation even once, not before, not now, and probably won't do so in the future. It was a small detail, yet itself alone it started changing Tommy's perspective on the girl that he used to hate with a burning passion.

Things were finally going to change.

aye aye aye