twenty-eight

When Kasia awoke again it was dark, the suns having likely gone down within the past few minutes

When Kasia awoke again it was dark, the suns having likely gone down within the past few minutes. Tugging the blindfold away from her face, Kasia's eyes widened as she took in the position that she and Din were now in.

Somehow during the time they had slept, Din's arm had fallen across Kasia's shoulder and she had her head snuggled into his large breastplate. They were, to put it simply for lack of a better word, cuddling.

For a moment, Kasia just stared up into Mando's visor; even this close up she could not get a glimpse of the face behind the mask. And in all honesty, it maddened her.

Kasia's eyes snapped shut as she felt Mando slowly gain consciousness, not wanting to be caught staring at him—particularly when in this particular position. She doubted he would take it well. Trying to keep her breath pattern as steady as possible, Kasia waited for the moment that Din would slowly push her off of him and arrange the two of them in a more proper position.

The moment never came. Instead, the two merely remained in the same position, both secretly awake but neither wanting to push the other away.

As she sat pretending to still be asleep, Kasia couldn't help but imagine that Din was staring down at her sleeping form just as she had stared up at his. He was certainly awake—she could feel his consciousness—and she couldn't really imagine what else he would be doing.

"All right, suns are down. Time to ride, Mando, Kasia."

At Toro's voice, Kasia's mood soured, reminded again why they were here. Yet although they were both wide awake, neither Kasia nor Din moved an inch at Toro's wake up call.

Impatience filling his voice, Kasia heard the boy shuffle to his feet and clap his hands, "Come on, wake up."

Kas, are you awake? she heard Mando's voice in her mind. In answer, she bobbed her head, the movement so slight that it was practically imperceptible to the eye—Mando would feel the movement, but Toro wouldn't notice it.

"Look at the two of you, cuddled up like a couple, asleep on the job," Toro muttered and Kasia could feel him standing over them. He chuckled slightly and then moved to draw his blaster on the two of them.

Quick as a flash, Kasia leaped from Din's lap and swiped a leg under Toro, causing him to tumble to the ground with a grunt. Standing over him, Kasia put her hands on her hips and smirked.

Was that really necessary?

Kasia now glanced over at Din, laughter in her eyes as she shrugged. Necessary? Not really. Fun? Most definitely, her eyes seemed to say.

Mando sighed from where he sat against the speeder, looking on in boredom. "You done?" he asked, his voice almost annoyed as he spoke.

Toro scrambled back up onto his feet, glaring at Kasia before nodding at the Mandalorian. "Yeah. I was just, you know, waking you up," he stuttered, shaking some sand off of his coat.