fifty-five

The flames approached as though in slow motion, unfurling throughout the room with a deathly promise of finality

The flames approached as though in slow motion, unfurling throughout the room with a deathly promise of finality. Kasia's breath caught in her throat as she glanced up to see the child standing directly in the path of the Incinerator Trooper's flame, but before she could bark at him to get out of the way, the child lifted his arms, hands tilted towards the fire as though he were taming a misbehaving monster.

She could only watch in disbelief as the flame indeed parted for the child, whatever power which lay in his soul keeping the deadly blaze at bay.

"Din," she whispered, nodding towards the kid as she continued to stare at his small form, wide-eyed. "Have you ever seen him do that before?"

Holy shit, was the Mandalorian's response which very eloquently summed up Kasia's only feeling of shock and disbelief.

She nodded, "Holy shit indeed." 

Gods I wish my mindreading ability came with... well, whatever shit that enables the kid to do that.

The two watched as the kid suddenly flicked one of his tiny wrists, sending the blaze of fire back towards the entrance of the cantina and the Incinerator Trooper along with it.

Kasia blinked at the fiery wreckage and the child that had slumped to the ground exhausted, in front of it. "Well, I suppose no one can say he's never learned anything from us," she murmured to Din, her eyes finding the dead trooper's body through the wreckage. 

Patting the Mandalorian's Beskar-covered chest once, Kas rose to her feet and tenderly plucked the exhausted child from the ground, rocking him in her arms as he snuggled into her chest.

A clanging sound suddenly caught her attention, and she turned to see IG-11 kicking the grate to the sewers open, their escape route finally clear.

"Come on! It's open, let's go!" Greef Karga urged from the droid's side.

The child in her arms, Kasia knelt back at Din's side, ignoring Karga's barked orders. She shook her head at Din before he even said anything, recognizing all-too-well the feeling of self-sacrifice and abandoned hope. It was the emotion she had felt flow from her parents when they had made her leave Eulentia on her own, though she hadn't recognized it then.

"Go," Din said, his voice both pleading and defeated. "Go."

She gritted her teeth at him. "Fuck no."

"We have to move! Now!" Greef barked from next to the vent as IG-11 rose to its feet.

"Just let me take this off you," Kasia whispered, her free hand going to Din's beautiful mask. "I know you have your Creed, but I've seen your face and I know what you look like and I just, I can't l just let you die when I could just save you and-" 

Even as she continued to speak, Kasia knew it was hopeless. Yet... she found that begging an implausible reality was somehow better than accepting an irrevocable one.