forty-three

Kasia and Yrel were quiet as they made their way through the spaceport, communication limited solely to Yrel's silent directions towards the spacecraft they were going to be getting a ride from

As they walked, Kasia felt strangely out of her body, unable to stop herself as her thoughts jumped from memory to memory, unable to fight the sorrow which flowed like an endless stream through her body at the idea of never seeing Din or the kid again.

She remembered the first moment she had beheld Din through the crowd on Canto Bight, the Mandalorian back then nothing more than a bounty-hunter to her, a man to avoid as though her very life depended on it—it was strange to think that she could have felt that way about him once, to remember that he had not always been the one person whom she would feel utterly safe depending on.

Kasia remembered seeing the child for the first time as well, recalling with ease the almost automatic love she had felt for the kid, the desire to protect him no matter the circumstance. That at least had not changed.

Her mind flowed from memory to memory as she followed behind Yrel, not paying much heed to any of her surroundings save the Eulentian directly in front of her. The pair was almost to the hanger where the ship they were going to take was stationed, though Kasia wasn't aware of the fact.

In front of her, Yrel tried his best not to listen to Kasia's thoughts as they flowed from her, tried not to read her emotions. Still, he couldn't help the flashes of memories he saw every so often, couldn't ignore the sadness he felt from the girl. He had a feeling he knew what it meant, but he decided he would let Kasia work through it herself—only then would she be content with whatever decision she came to.

As they walked, Kasia's thoughts turned towards when she and Din had teamed up to save the child, to the moment when Din had tended to her bullet wound after the fight. She remembered how, after a different fight, the two had traded stories in their shared room on Sorgan, Kasia learning information from the Mandalorian which he rarely gifted others.

Kasia tried to shake her head, tried to distract herself by looking around the space station, towards a few of the taxi ships nearby and the passengers boarding them. She couldn't think about this now, not when she was so close to leaving. But despite her efforts, the memories of their easy banter and Din's exaggerated sighs kept coming, of her and Din's time on Tatooine when they had accidently ended up practically laying in each other's arms. She remembered Din bandaging her newly formed knife wound and-

"Okay, this is it," Yrel's voice suddenly interrupted, shattering Kasia's recollections as she blinked. Her brows furrowed at the ship in front of her, the transport vessel markedly smaller than the Razor Crest and almost as beat up. Still, she forced a smile as a Sullustan approached the two of them, Kasia easily guessing that he was the head of the crew of their new ship.

Her eyebrows flitted up as Yrel greeted the creature in Sullustese, the alien language falling awkwardly from his lips. She felt annoyance radiate from both Yrel and the Sullustan before the Eulentian grudgingly handing the creature a tall stack of credits. With a content reply in Sullustese, the alien clambered back up the ramp of his ship.