Chapter 3: Marinette's Bucket List

After we drop Adrien off at his house we go back home. My parents go straight to their rooms so I don't see them cry. I didn't cry the whole way home mostly because I can't let them see me hurting.

As soon as I get up to my room I break down. Why me? What did I do to deserve this? I start throwing things trying to calm myself down. After a while I finally calm down but the tears still stream down my cheeks. I only have 6 months? I didn't even get to do everything I wanted to yet. I can't die. I'm not ready.

                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up the next day and get ready for school. I haven't seen my parents since the hospital. Both of us didn't come out of our rooms.

I walk downstairs and still notice that they're not out. "I'm going to school!" I shout but I get no answer. They're probably sleeping still.

                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey girl." Alya says as I walk up to her. "Hey Alya." "Hey guys. How's my girl and my favorite dudette?" Nino asks giving me a high five and putting an arm around Alya. "Hey Mari can I talk to you?" Adrien asks as he walks up to us. "Um yeah sure."

"What's up Agreste?" "How are you doing about the whole... situation?" "Um I'm good." I lie trying to fight back my tears. "Marinette you can't be fine. You just got told you're going to die. It's okay to not be fine." "Adrien I'm fine. Really." "Is there anything I can help you with?" "No- Actually there is a few things I need help with." I say with a smile. "Of course! Anything Mari."

"I want to complete my bucket list and I'm not doing it alone!" "Oh no you're going to make me do it with you huh?" He says with a smile. "Well you did say anything." He laughs. "Okay so what's the first thing on it?" "I left it at home because I didn't really think I'd need it, but tomorrow I'll bring it and we'll talk about what we're going to do first!" He nods. "Okay sounds good." "Thank you for agreeing to do this for me!" I say as I walk away. "I didn't really have much of a choice." I laugh and roll my eyes. "Shouldn't have offered then!" I hear him laugh as I continue to walk away.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mom, Dad I'm home!" "Sorry we didn't make you breakfast this morning honey. We slept in." "It's fine." I walk to the kitchen and notice they have all kinds of papers out. "What's all this?" "Bills." "Are we short on money? I can get a job." "No no you don't need a job. We're fine honey we just need to open the bakery more often so that means we might have to stop going to your check ups. I hope that's okay?" It's not. "It's okay." I say with a fake smile. They nod and look back at the bills.

"So um I made a bucket list and I'm going to complete it." "That's great honey." They say not looking up from the papers. They're not even listening. "And getting a tattoo is one of them. I think I'm going to get a huge one on my face." "Mhm sounds good." Now I know for sure they're not listening. I roll my eyes and walk up to my room. Might as well write in my diary.

I open my diary that has everything I've ever felt since I found out written in it. I immediately start writing. I don't even know what I'm putting, it's like the pen is moving on it's own. When I finish writing in it I close it and grab my bucket list to look over it.

Marinette's Bucket List
1. Light a lantern and let it go
2.Go to a carnival
3. Go on a trip and stay in a hotel
4. Star gazing
5. Watch the sunrise

I look at the list and add a few new things.

Marinette's Bucket List
1. Light a lantern and let it go
2. Go to a carnival
3. Go on a trip and stay in a hotel
4. Star gazing
5. Watch the sunrise
6. First kiss
7. Little fashion show with friends (handmade clothes)
8. Feed ducks at a pond
9. Bake with friends
10. Say Goodbye

Maybe the last one is a little too sad. I don't want Adrien to think about that. Especially when I still have time. I cross out number 10 and look over the list once again. Perfect.

                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up and look at the clock. Ughhhh i'm late again! I quickly get ready and rush downstairs. "I'm late see you guys later!" I yell and run out the door.

                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I rush into class and sit in my seat. "Slept in again?" Alya asks. I smile and nod. She hands me a donut. "I'm guessing you didn't eat yet?" "You know me too well." I say biting into the donut. "Thank you." She smiles and continues writing notes. The blonde in front of me turns around. "Did you bring it?" I nod and hand him the list. "What's that?" Nino asks. "It's my bucket list. We're trying to do everything on it. Want to join us on the first one we do today?"

"We're starting today?" Adrien asks. "Of course Agreste. I didn't bring it for nothing." I say as I ruffle his hair. He rolls his eyes and chuckles. "So you guys in?" Adrien asks turning to Alya and Nino. "No sorry Agreste we have plans today." "Hey only I can call him Agreste!" "Sorry Mari." "Only I can call her Mari!" Nino rolls his eyes and turns his attention back on the teacher. Adrien and I smile at each other and high five.

                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Fashion show? Really?" Adrien teases my bucket list as we walk to the cafeteria. "Come on it's not that bad. I can promise you that everything on this list will be fun." He rolls his eyes. "First kiss? You haven't had your first kiss?" "No and you haven't either so don't make fun of me."

"That's not true. We both have. Remember that party in 3rd grade and we were dared to kiss each other?" I roll my eyes. "Sorry to break it to you Agreste but that was nothing more than a peck. It doesn't count." "Okay maybe you're right. What was this crossed out one?" "It was nothing." He nods. "A lot of stuff on this list is pretty cheesy." I roll my eyes and grab the paper back. "If you don't want to help I'll find someone else. I'm sure someone will want to help a dying girl complete her bucket list." I say putting a hand over my chest for dramatic effect. "Yeah like the Make A Wish foundation or something." He say as he takes the list back. I slap his arm. "That was rude!" We both start laughing.