Chapter 48: Are You Okay?

~Adrien~
"Wait! Where are you taking her?" I ask as they start to roll the bed out of the room. "Her heart stopped and her lungs are failing." Plagg stays back as the rest of the doctors and nurses rush her out of the room.

"B-but how about now?" "Her heart is beating again but since her lungs are failing we need to perform emergency surgery."

"Will she be okay?" "I don't know." "No! She needs to be okay! I can't imagine a world without her in it. Promise me you'll do everything you can to save her!" I say as the tears continue to stream down my face.

"Adrien-" "Promise me!" "I promise we'll do everything we can." With that he leaves the room and I fall back to the floor sobbing.

"Adrien? Are you okay? What happened? Where is she?" Nino and Luka ask as they walk into the room. "I- I was holding her and her heart stopped. She died for a few moments in my arms. Her lungs are failing and they rushed her to surgery. It's all my fault."

"Hey don't say that dude." Nino says as he and Luka rush to my side. "I had to have done something. What if I unplugged one of the machines? I'm her fiancé, I'm supposed to protect her not put her in harm. I failed her."

"You didn't do anything wrong Adrien. It's her body that's failing. Not you." Luka says. "I need Marinette. I can't loose her." "She's a fighter Adrien. She'll get through this." Nino says as I wipe my tears. "I hope so."

                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We came as soon as we heard your message. How is she doing?" My father asks as him and my mom run into the waiting room. "She's in surgery right now." Luka says.

About an hour ago was the last time we got an update from Plagg. I don't know if that's a good thing or not. He told us that she's not looking so good. I need her. I can't live without her. If she goes then I go.

"How are you doing honey?" My mom pulls me into a hug. I try to speak, but no words come out. "Adrien? Honey are you okay?" "He hasn't spoken since Plagg came to update us." Nino says. "Son, do you need anything?" Yes. Marinette.

After a few moments, Alya and Chloe rush into the waiting room. "Sorry we tried to get here as fast as we could." "How is she?" Alya asks. "She's not doing good?" Nino says. "And you Adrien? Are you okay?" Chloe asks.

"Would everyone stop asking me that! I'm not okay and I won't be okay until I know she's okay! So everyone just stop asking and shut the hell up!" I snap instantly regretting it. "I- I'm sorry Chloe. I didn't mean that." "I know you didn't. It's okay Adrien." "I have to make a phone call." I say and walk outside.

"Pick up the phone!" "You have reached the voicemail box of-" "Damn it!" I say and call again. "Adrien we declined your calls 3 times take the hint."

"Marinette is in surgery and her lungs are failing her. Her heart even stopped beating." "What?" "Shut up. Don't act like you care. I only called you because Marinette would want you guys to know." "We do care!"

"That's a bunch of bull! If you cared you would be here for her, you wouldn't have disowned her, and you would've fought to get her back!" "You know what? You're right! We don't care! So stop calling us!" The phone beeps signaling they hung up.

I groan and throw my phone against the wall. "Adrien?" I turn and see Nino walking out. "Dude, Marinette wouldn't want you acting this way." "I know. I need to cool off."

"I know this is really scary, but Marinette is strong. She can get through anything and if she can, then so can you. Take deep, slow breaths." I follow his instructions and take deep breaths. I do it over and over until I feel the anxiety leave my body. I'm still scared as hell but I'm more composed.

"Plagg and Tikki were looking for you. They wanted you to be the first to know how she's doing. They're inside waiting for you." I immediately run into the waiting room.

"How is she?" "There was some difficulties in the surgery. Her heart stopped again and one of her lungs collapsed. We only have a few hours left to find her a new lungs." I feel the anxiety return and my body starts to tremble.

"W- will she make it?" "We don't know. She's awake right now and you can go see her." I nod and walk to her room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Marinette~
I feel pain all over body but all of that disappears as soon as he enters the room. I notice his hands shaking as he stands in the door way.

"Are you just going to stand there or are you going to hug me?" I say and take a deep breath. "I- I don't want to hurt you." "You won't hurt me Agreste." "You died in my arms Mari. I must've done something wrong." He says as tears fall from his eyes.

"Hey, you did nothing wrong." I say as he walks to the side of the bed. "Mari you were good until I held you, so-" "I'm good right now Agreste." "Actually Marinette, we need to talk to you." Tikki says as she and Plagg enter the room.

I feel my heartbeat quicken but it slows down as soon as Adrien places his hand on mine. "We're running out of time. You were moved to the top of the transplant list but we're not sure when you'll get the lungs. We only have a few more hours left."

"B-but I still have 2 more days." "We thought you did. While you were in surgery your condition got much worse. I'm so sorry." I feel tears fill up in my eyes. Don't cry in front of Adrien, don't cry in front of Adrien, don't cry in front of Adrien... I quickly blink back my tears and nod. "Thank you for everything guys."

I turn to Adrien and pull him into a kiss. I rest my forehead against his. "Adrien, please know that I love you so so much and-" "Don't do that Mari. Don't say your goodbyes." "I only have a few hours Agreste. I'm not going to make it." "Mari-"

"Know that this isn't your fault okay? You're going to achieve your dreams and complete your own bucket list. Promise me that you won't hold on to me. You'll move on and fall in love with someone else-" "What? No!"

"And you'll have a full life filled with kids, animals, especially the hamster named-" "Mari! I don't want any of that unless it's with you." "I just want you to be happy Agreste." "And I won't be happy without you. So don't give up, keep fighting. Please keep fighting." He starts crying and rests his head in the crook of my neck.

I run my hands through his hair as a tear escapes my eyes. "Okay. I'll keep fighting." He looks up and presses his lips against mine. It hurts to see him in this much pain.