Chapter 31: I Made A Mistake

After I leave the hotel I go to Adrien's house and start grabbing my stuff and put it into a bag. "Marinette the show was amaz- what are you doing?" Emilie asks as she walks into the room. "Thank you so much for letting me stay here Emilie but I can't live here with you guys." I say as I wipe my tears. "Why not?" "Adrien and I- we broke up." "Oh no. Why?" "I'm so sorry. I wish I could explain but I need to be gone before he comes back." "Marinette-" I pull her into a hug. "Thank you so much for everything but I really have to go now." I grab the bag and rush out of the house.

~Adrien~
I wipe my tears as I walk back home. I'm such an idiot. I should've listened to her and waited until she was ready. Now I lost the most important person in my life. "Adrien what happened?" My mom asks as soon as I walk into the house. "Marinette broke up with me." "I know honey. What happened?" "How do you know?" "She came and got all her stuff." "She's gone?" I ask and run up to her room. "Adrien-"

I'm an idiot! Where is she going to stay? Damn it! I never should've said anything! "Adrien what happened?" "I told them. I told them about her cancer." "Why would you do that?" "They were worried about her." "Adrien that wasn't your choice." "I know. I know. I made a big mistake and now I lost her." I say as I put my face in my hands. "It's going to be okay Adrien. She loves you so much. You can fix this." "How?" "That's something you have to figure out on your own but for now I think you should give her some space." "I can't live without her mom." "I know. Soon she'll realize the same about you. Just give her some time."

~Marinette~
I walk over to Alya's house and knock on the door. She opens it immediately and pulls me into a hug. "Why didn't you tell me?" "I didn't want you to worry." "Oh my gosh and you just broke up with Adrien. Are you okay?" I shake my head and start crying more. "I made a mistake Alya. I shouldn't have broken up with him. Of course I still trust him. He was one of the only people left in my life that I trusted. I was just so mad so I threw it aside without thinking. I'm such an idiot. I can't be without him Alya. What am I going to do?"

"Do you want him back?" She asks as she pulls away I nod. "But I can't keep messing with him. I told him I didn't want to be with him and then I told him I did. Now I told him I think we should break up and I can't just run back. I made up my mind and I can't keep changing it." "I'm sure he'll understand Marinette." "I know he'll understand but it's not fair to him Alya." She sighs and nods her head. "Do you want to talk to him?" I shake my head. "I can't. He deserves better than me. I should give him some space." Alya sighs and nods again. "It'll work out in the end Marinette. Don't worry."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thank you guys so much for letting me stay here Mr. and Mrs. Cesaire." "Of course Marinette. You're our family and family always helps each other out." "We should get going to school now Marinette." Alya says and hands me my backpack.

"How do you plan on avoiding him this time?" Alya asks as we walk to school. "I don't know. I'll figure it out though." Alya nods.

We walk up the steps and pass by Adrien and Nino. Our eyes meet for a split second before we quickly pull them away. Pain is filled in both of our eyes. "You're not going to talk to Nino?" "Nope. You need me way more than he does." She says and throws her arm around my shoulder. "Thanks Alya but you don't need to stay with me." "I know I don't have to but I want to. You're going through a breakup and you need me. I'm always going to be here for you." I give her a weak smile.

"Dupain-Cheng!" Chloe shouts as she runs up and pulls me into a hug. "Why didn't you tell me? And what did you mean by you're going to die? I need answers!" She says as she pulls away from the hug. "I'm sorry. I really was going to tell you but I wasn't ready to yet. I didn't want you to worry about me." "Marinette we're always going to worry about you. Friends worry about friends."

"But what did you mean by you're going to die?" Alya asks. "Oh um- a few months ago I found out I only have 6 months left to live." "What?" "That can't be true! We barely became friends. I haven't spent enough time with you yet." Chloe says with tears filling her eyes. "How much time is left?" "3 months if I choose not to get a transplant." "Well you have to get a transplant then!"

"I don't know. I might not get the new lungs and I could end up going through this whole process again. I don't think I want that. I just want to be at peace." "You w-want to die?" Alya asks choking up. "Of course I don't want to die but when I do-" "If you do. Doctors are wrong about stuff like this all the time." "If I die, I want to die at peace. I don't want to go through anymore pain." "But the transplant can give you more time." "Well I don't really need more time. I'm almost done with my bucket list so that means I've almost completed everything I've ever wanted to do."

"You've never wanted to get married? To have kids?""Even if I do get the transplant it's not a given that I'd even get enough time to get married or have kids. I'm barely 17." "But you turn 18 in a couple weeks. You'll legally be able to get married." Chloe says. "I don't even have anyone to get married to."

"You have Adri-" Chloe starts but stops as soon as she remembers. "I'm so sorry!" "No it's fine." "How are you dealing with the whole breakup by the way?" "It's hard. Like really hard. I can't live life without him." "Then why are you?" "She doesn't want to keep messing with his feelings. She said he deserves better than that." Alya says. I quickly wipe the tear that falls. "Maybe we shouldn't talk about the breakup anymore." "No it's fine. I just- I should get to class." I say and start walking away. "Class starts in 5 minutes though." Chloe says. "She just doesn't want to talk about it." "Oh well we should stay with her then. She needs her friends right now." Alya nods and they follow me.

~Adrien~
"You can go with Alya. I'll be fine." "No way dude. You need me right now." "Hey Adrien. How are you doing?" Luka asks as he walks over to us. Terrible. "I'm fine." I say while shrugging my shoulders. "He's not fine he just doesn't want to admit it." Nino says. "Well we're here for you if you need anything."

"Wow isn't it ironic that both of you guys were in love with Marinette and you both had your heart broken by her?" Luka face palms himself. "I didn't mean to say that out loud." Nino says. "I'm so sorry dude." "No it's fine Nino." "You okay Adrien?" Luka asks as he notice the tears in my eyes. I clear my throat and nod. "Yeah I'm fine. I should probably go to class." "We still have 5 minutes though." "Yeah I know- I just-" "Adrien it's okay to not be okay." "I know but I don't really want to talk about it." "I didn't mean that dude." "I know you didn't." "Well we'll go to class with you too then." Luka says and we all start walking to class.