Chapter 36: 12 Years

"I can't see anything." I say as Alya covers my eyes and guides me to the park. "That's the whole point Marinette." "But knowing you, you're gonna make me bump into a tree or something." "Nothing you haven't done before." "Why can't I just look-" "Marinette! We love you and I shouldn't be saying this because it's your birthday but please just shut up." Chloe says. I giggle and nod. "Just a few more steps-" Alya says taking a pause as we walk. "And we're here." She says as she uncovers my eyes.

"I- wow- I don't know what to say." I say as I look around, taking in every little detail. "Special yet?" "I'm sorry girls. I don't think it's going to change. I just need-" "Adrien!" They say simultaneously. "Yeah." "No, we mean-" They pause as they turn me around. "Adrien." They finish.

"Adrien?" "Hi Mari." An awkward silence takes over as we both stand there staring at each other. "Say something for heaven's sake!" Chloe shouts. Alya face palms herself. "We'll be standing over there." She says as she drags Chloe away.

"Adrien I'm-" "No wait. Let me go first." I nod. "Look I know we're not together anymore but I was thinking about how much you've been through this year and I thought you deserved a break from all of that-" "Y- you did all this? For me?" I ask with tears in my eyes. "Please don't cry! This was supposed to cheer you up." "No it did. Thank you Agreste." I say and pull him into a hug. His scent flows into my nose and brings me comfort.

I pull away after a while. If I hugged him any longer it would've been impossible for me not to kiss him. "I'm gonna leave now so you can enjoy the party." "But-" "I want to talk to you more but I'm going to leave it up to you. If you choose to listen to what I have to say, then meet me on the bridge at 11:50." He says before walking away.

Alya and Chloe run up to me. "So?" "What happened?" "He's leaving?" I ask as I watch him walk away. "He told us he set it up for you to enjoy." "He didn't plan on staying because he thought you probably didn't want to have him here." "In Chloe's words, that's ridiculous utterly ridiculous. Of course I'd want him here." "Just enjoy the party and go talk to him later." "Do you know what he's going to tell me?" "Yes but our lips are sealed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Marinette it's 11:55! Aren't you going?" Chloe asks. "11:55? Damn it! I'm going to be late!" I shout and grab my phone. "Wait! Where's my purse?" "We'll find it for you! Just go!" Alya says. "Thank you so much!" I shout and run off.

"You're late." Adrien says as I walk run up to him. "Sorry I lost track of time." I say out of breath. "It's okay. I kind of figured you'd be late so I told you to meet me 10 minutes before I actually wanted to." "Adrien!" He laughs. Ugh! I missed his laugh so much! I missed his presence, his scent, his smile, his light. I've just missed him. "Sorry but you're always late and I had to meet you at 12:00." "Why?" "Eager aren't you? Well it's impolite to keep a lady waiting so let's get started?" He asks and holds out his hand. I nod and take it. He leads me over to a bench and has me sit.

"You and I met in 1st grade when we were just 6 years old and we immediately became best friends. In 3rd grade, I realized that I had feelings for you. As time went on and we grew up I tried denying what I felt. I thought it was just a little crush but the truth is, it was love. I've always been in love with you Mari.  So here I am at 12:00 telling you that for 12 years I tried convincing myself that you were just a friend, 12 years that we went through our friends teasing us about dating, 12 years I denied the feelings I had for you, and 12 years until I finally admitted the truth-" He stops and pulls out a bouget of red roses that he hid behind a pole.

"Agreste-" "Shh. I'm not done yet." I giggle and nod for him to continue. "It's taken us 12 years to come together. 12 years that I've loved you and now 12 roses for each year of us. Marinette I-" "Adrien-"

"Let him finish Dupain-Cheng!" "Shhh! Chloe!" "Everyone be quiet!" Luka shouts. "Dudes! Shut up! They're not supposed to know we're out here!" "How long have you guys been here?" Adrien asks. Alya, Nino, Chloe, and Luka all step out from their hiding spots. "Since you started." "Don't let us interrupt. Please, continue." "We wouldn't have interrupted if you didn't say anything." Alya says. "I'm sorry! I got caught up in the moment."

"Even though the perfect moment is kind of ruined-" Adrien says as he turns back to face me. "I think it's still perfect." He smiles. "As I was saying, Mari I know I made a big mistake when I told them about your cancer and I know I broke your trust, but I thought I was doing what was right. I know how wrong I was to make the decision for you. It was your secret to share, not mine. Doing so only made me lose the most important person in my life. I'm sorry."

I stand up and shake my head. "You have no reason to be sorry. I should've listened to you when you told me to tell them. I never should've said I didn't trust you because you're the only one who I can trust to always be by my side. I was just so upset and that also caused me to make the biggest mistake ever of breaking up with you. These past few weeks without you have been the worst. I hated every second of it. I'm so sorry for hurting you." I say. "And for slapping you." I add and he chuckles. "I kind of deserved it and I respect your decision to breakup with me. Friends?" He asks and holds out his hand for me to shake.

I look at his hand then back up to his face. Screw fighting it. I smile and grab his hand. I pull him into me and crash my lips onto his. I move my hands up to wrap them around his neck deepening the kiss. He smiles into the kiss and drops the flowers. Freeing his other hand to place on my waist and pull me closer.

After we pull apart we rest our foreheads against each other. "Don't ever break up with me again." I giggle. "Never again." He smiles and places another quick kiss on my lips. "You have no idea how much I've missed doing that." He says with an infectious smile. "And you have no idea how much I've missed you." His smile grows and he gives me another passionate kiss.

"Get a room!" Alya shouts. "Alya! Let the lovebirds be! They finally found their way back to each other." "It's been a few weeks." "Worst weeks of my life." He says. "It felt like years." I say and pull him into a hug. "I'm glad I can do this again." "Me too." He says closing his eyes as he hugs me tighter. "Special now?" Alya asks. "Very special."

____________________________________
A/N: Hey guys! Today my family and I just lost someone very important to us, so I'm going to be taking a short break on writing. Since this story is already coming to an end, when I come back I'll write and publish the last few chapters of the story and I have an idea for a whole new story.

I'll be back in a few days, I promise! I just need some time to myself for a while. I hope you understand. Thank you. I love you!!❤️❤️