Chapter 4: More Time

"So what are we starting with Agreste?" I ask as we sit down at the lunch table. "Um how about the lantern one? There's supposed to be a little lantern ceremony tonight." "That's perfect!" I say with a smile. "Do you think Alya and Nino would want to do anything on the list with us?" "Well even if they don't want to I'll make them. I know you want to spend time with all of us together." He says as he places a hand on top of mine giving me a reassuring smile.

"Ooo are we interrupting something?" Alya asks as she sits down gesturing to our hands. "Haha very funny Alya." I say as we separate our hands. "When are you two finally going to get together? We've been shipping you two for the longest time." Nino adds. Adrien and I roll our eyes. "Come on you bugged us about each other. It's only fair we do the same to you." Alya says with a tiny giggle. "Anyways... Adrien and I are going to lantern ceremony tonight. You sure you can't go?" They shake their heads. "We can't impose on your date." Adrien and I look at each other as we pick up a fry and throw it at them. "Hey!" Alya says with a laugh. "But we really can't we're going to the movies." I nod. "Okay well next time."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mari when's your next check up?" Adrien asks as he walks me home. "Um next Thursday I think. Why?" "Cause I was wondering if I can go with you?" I smile. "Yeah but it'll just be us though. My parents can't make it." He frowns. "I'm sorry I know how nervous you probably are." I shake my head. "I'm used to it." "You're only saying that because you don't want anyone to worry about you but I know deep down you're scared. You can be honest with me Mari." Ugh sometimes I hate how well he knows me! But I can't let him know no matter what. He can't worry about me anymore. "I've been going to these every week for the past 3 years. I'll be fine." I say as we get to my house.

"You know you don't have to walk me home right?" "I know but I want to get as much time as I can with you." I open the door and walk in. "You coming?" I turn around to face him. "I need to go home. Both of us need to get ready for tonight." "Oh come on what's 5 minutes going to do?" He sighs and comes in. "I'm only coming in because I know how stubborn you are." "Yeah yeah whatever." I roll my eyes and pull out some cookies and crossaints. "Pick your poison." "Theres poison in these?" "Oh don't be such a blonde! Of course not. Now pick before they get cold." He grabs a cookie and I do the same.

"Okay now I really need to go. I'll pick you up at 7:00?" I nod. "Sounds good." "Okay see you later Mari." "Later Agreste." I say as he walks out. "You two have a date today?" "What? No! We're just friends mom." She smiles and hands a customer their order. "I need to get ready before you try to convince me that we're anything more." I say and go upstairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're late Agreste." I say as I open the door to my house. "I know I know I'm sorry. I was trying to find shoes that match." "Excuses excuses." I say as I walk out with him. He laughs and rolls his eyes. "So I noticed you only have 9 things written down on your list. Are you sure that's all you want to do?" "Well 6 months doesn't exactly give us enough time to do much." He nods.

"So you didn't even cry about it when we found out. Are you okay?" "You want to see me cry? Ouch Im hurt." I say and place a hand over my chest. "Im being serious Mari. You know what I mean. Aren't you scared?" He says with his face having no expressions. Luckily for me I can read him like a book. He's scared. He'll only worry more if I let him know that I'm afraid of death.

I scratch the back of my neck. "Um don't worry about me I'll be fine." I say as I try to give him a smile. He sighs. "You keep saying that. It's starting to lose its meaning. I'm worried about you. It's not healthy to keep your emotions bottled up." I sigh. "Don't worry I don't keep them bottled up. I have a diary that I write all my emotions in. Good and bad." He nods. "Well you can talk to me-" "We're here!" I say putting my arm on his sleeve as I see a lantern floating up. He smiles and grabs my hand. He pulls me to the lanterns so we can get there faster.

"Okay so what do we write on it?" "I think you're supposed to put a wish on it." He nods. "I don't know what to put." I say and sit in the grass. I look up at him and see him writing something. "What are you putting?" He puts the lantern behind his back quickly. "Nothing!" "Now I'm even more curious!" I say as I get up and reach behind his back. He quickly dodges my hand. "Ugh come on Agreste! I need help with my wish." He sighs and holds his lantern out.

"More time" I read out loud. He's wasting his wish on me? I sigh. "Agreste you shouldn't waste your wish on me." "You call it a waste? I'd say this is a pretty good wish." He says with a smile. I roll my eyes. "What are you going to put?" "I'm thinking.." "Think faster." I throw my marker at him. "You know I don't do good under pressure." He laughs and rubs where the marker hit him. "For such a tiny person you have a surprisingly good arm." I laugh and roll my eyes.

"I got it!" "What is it?" "I wish for no pain when I'm gone." I say as I write it down. "Mari-" "Don't start Agreste. I'm enjoying myself. Talking about it will only bring me down." He nods. When I finish writing he grabs the lighter and lights up the lantern. "Ready?" He asks holding his hand out. I nod and take his hand. "Number one check." I say as we let go of the lanterns. He smiles at me. "What's next?" "Ice cream!" I say excitedly. "Okay let's go." He says as we walk to Andre's.