Chapter 8

Recap: Our argument has left me shaken. I didn't even think about my words until now. I do hear the boys crying every night, but I've never done anything about it. I vowed to help them, so maybe, I should start taking that vow a little more seriously. At least the day's events have taken my mind off of Chanyeol. Nevermind, now I'm thinking about him. Oh great.
Mari's POV
        I walk aimlessly through the house, not sure what to do. Suddenly, I bump into a hard figure and am sent flying backwards. I brace myself for the fall down the stiars, but it doesn't come. Opening my eyes, I look up to see D.O. staring down at me, his arms wrapped tightly around my waist to prevent me from falling. "Are you ok?" He asks, pulling me to my feet and I nod, gripping the railing to steady myself as I place a hand on my pounding heart. "I'm fine, gomawo Kyungsoo oppa," I say and he frowns. "How do you know my name?" He asks and I bite my lip. "You told me when we met, remember? A week ago?" I ask and he frowns at the ground. "We've met?" He asks and I nod. "I'm sorry, I don't remember. I'm such a freak!" He exclaims, before trying to push past me. I reach out and grab onto his arm, holding him back. "Woah, hang on, you are not a freak," I say and he looks up at me with tear-filled eyes. "But I never remember anything. I embarrass myself by forgetting everything and everyone around me. I can't even remember first letter of my friend's name, let alone remember where I am when I wake up in the morning," He cries, wiping furiously at his cheeks to remove the tears, leaving a red mark behind. "Maybe I can help you."

        "So I just write down everything I do in this journal?" He asks, glancing skeptically down at the journal I handed him. "Yep, that's it. So that way, if you forget something, you can just open it up and read from it," I explain and he furrows his eyebrows. "Well if I forget, how will I know to read this? I won't remember," He sighs, holding the journal out to me, but I push it away, back to him. "You'll remember. And if not, I will. I promise. Plus, if you keep it with you at all times, there's no way you'll forget because you'll be curious enough to read from it if you find it," I say and he bites his lip. "But how will I remember names if all I have is a written description?" He asks and I purse my lips, thinking. My eyes land on a large object in the corner of the room and a bright grin lights up my features. "Easy, just-" I cut myself off as I stand and cross the room, grabbing the object. "Take a picture of them." I smile brightly and snap a picture with the old fashioned camera, watching as a blank slip of photo paper prints out of the bottom. Grabbing the edge carefully, I hold it up to D.O. to let him see the picture as it forms. I gently take the journal, tape, and a pencil, taping the photo to the first page and filling up the second with information about me. "Just use the first few pages to make entries about the guys and I, and then start writing about your day and the people around you."

        I hand him the journal and the camera, and he studies them for a moment, before smiling ever so slightly. "Thank you Mari. I owe you," He says and I can't help but feel slightly touched by his words. "No you don't. The only thing you can do for me, is smile more. Quit feeling sorry for yourself," I say, sending him a playful grin and he hesitantly smiles back, before nodding. "I'm going to go take pictures of everyone. Thanks again!" He says, before moving towards me with his arms slightly out as if to hug me, before rethinking it and patting me affectionately on the head, then running out. I chuckle slightly, smiling at his retreating figure. "Well, now that you're finally alone, we can talk." I spin around to see Kai leaning against the wall, arms crossed, an annoying smirk spread across his face. "What is it now Jongin?" I sigh and his smirk grows as he pushes himself off of the wall. "Wow, I'm shocked. Aren't you glad to see me?" He asks, feigning hurt and I roll my eyes. "Oh believe me, I'm absolutely thrilled," I retort sarcastically and he chuckles deeply. "What did you want?" I ask as he comes to a stop in front of me. "So, you and Baekhyun, huh?" He asks and I'm thrown off by his question. I was not expecting that. "What?" I splutter stupidly, not able to make my mouth function correctly to form other words. "You heard me. I saw you two earlier. You were pretty cosy if I do say so myself," He laughs evilly and I blink, before shaking my head and glaring at him. "Buzz off Kai. You don't know what you're talking about," I snap, moving to walk away, but he grabs my arm.