Chapter 18

Recap: "Joonmyeon?" Her voice shakes as her face fills with fear. "Help me! The voices! They're so loud, what do I do? Make them stop please! Suho please help me! Please!" I stand frozen, immobile. All I can do is watch as she raises the knife, her limbs moving mechanically, as if she were a robot. "Help me please!" she sobs, and then the chocolate brown is gone and replaced with the cold black again. "I knew you couldn't help me." She brings the knife down straight into her stomach and falls limply to the ground. "No!" I shout, and I'm finally able to move. I run to her and drop to my knees, my vision blurred with tears. "Areum! Please, don't leave me! You're gonna be ok! Wake up! Please! Please you can't leave me! Please. Please." I grip her hand in mine and it's already cold and stiff. She's gone.

Mari's POV

I stifle a yawn as I trudge downstairs. I couldn't get much sleep last night. When I did, it was restless. I feel like I had awful nightmares, but I can't remember a thing. My head aches and I let out a soft groan, plopping onto the couch at the foot of the stairs.

"Are you ok Mari?" I glance up at Baekhyun, who's eyes widen as he takes in my state. "What happened to you?" I glare at him, blowing my bangs out of my face.

"Gee thanks," I mutter sarcastically and he grins.

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that," he chuckles and I roll my eyes.

"I didn't get much sleep last night that's all," I shrug and he frowns.

"How come?" I close my eyes, letting out a small sigh.

"I dunno I just didn't." He's silent for a moment and I open my eyes to find him just staring at me. He blinks, before standing and walking off. Well that was weird. I let out another sigh, willing myself to my feet, glancing lazily around the room. Coffee sounds really good right now. I trudge slowly towards the kitchen passing by a mirror as I go. I glance at it as I pass, stopping in my tracks and backing up to stand in front of it. The girl in the mirror looks nothing like me. My eyes are sunken and deep bags hang underneath them. My cheeks are sunken and I look as if I've aged 30 years. Is this what happens after one bad night? I attempt to run a hand through my tangled hair, but it gets stuck halfway through leaving me to tug it out painfully. I groan and finish my trek to the kitchen. I start a pot of coffee and lean against the counter as I wait impatiently, my body craving the caffeine.

"Morning!" I hold back a groan at the chipper voice. How can anybody be so energetic this early in the morning? I slowly turn around to face my boyfriend's bright smile. His face morphs into a look of shock and concern as he takes in my appearance. "Yah, gwenchana? What happened?" He cups my face in his hands and I close my eyes.

"I didn't get much sleep," I say and he frowns.

"Why not?" I roll my eyes.

"I don't know. Why does everyone always ask that question?" I snap and he releases his hold on my face, stepping back.

"Woah sorry." He holds up his hands and I sigh.

"No I'm sorry. I'm just overtired." I grab his hand and rub circles into the back of it. He smiles gently and kisses me on the forehead.

"It's fine. You should go rest," he murmurs against my forehead and I shake my head.

"Not until I get some coffee," I reply and he grins, releasing my hand and pouring me a cup of the now finished coffee. I smile and take it, drinking it and sighing in slight relief. Chanyeol crinkles his nose and sends me a disgusted look, shaking his head. "What?" I tap his nose and he scrunches it up even more.

"How can you drink that black?" he asks and I shrug.

"I don't know. Putting all that sugary crap in it makes it too sweet and it feels like it doesn't have as much as an effect," I reply, taking another huge gulp. I shudder as the hot liquid burns my throat slightly, but take another sip anyway. I quickly finish the rest of the drink and start to rinse the cup out, but I'm stopped by a pair of huge hands.

"Stop it. You need to sleep. Just leave it," Chanyeol mutters into my ear and I shake my head.

"I'm fine-" I cut off in a squeal as Chanyeol scoops me up and carries me away from the kitchen. "Yah! Park Chanyeol! What are you doing?" I screech, hiding my face in his shirt. His chest rumbles as he laughs, completely ignoring me. He carries me back upstairs and dumps me into his bed, tucking me in. "Yah I'm a grown woman! I can tuck myself in!" I giggle, shoving his hands away, but he ignores me once again and pushes me down onto the pillows. He tucks the blankets around me before shoving me over lightly and hopping in beside me. Wrapping his arm around me, he shifts slightly, getting more comfortable, before leaning back against the headrest.

"Get some rest Mari. I'm right here," he murmurs and I feel my face heat up as he pulls me to his chest. Realizing I have no other choice, I give in and snuggle into him, craving his warmth as a sudden chill shakes me to the bones.

Screams. That's all I hear. The thing I am encased in has flipped. There's blood everywhere. I hear sirens in the distance. I can barely keep my eyes open. The scene is so blurry and everything sounds faint. My eyes slip closed and the sounds fade away.

"Mari! Mari wake up!" I shoot awake, my hands shaking as I try to catch my breath. Chanyeol's worried face fills my vision and I turn to him, taking deep breathes.

"What happened?"

"You were screaming and thrashing around, I didn't know what was happening! Are you ok?" He brushes my hair out of my face as I finally catch my breath.

"Yeah, I just had a bad dream. I'm fine."

"Do you wanna talk about it?" he asks and I shake my head.

"No," I whisper and he nods.

"Do you want me to stay?" he asks and I nod, scooting over to make even more room for him. "I'm right here. I'll always be here for you," he whispers, pressing a kiss to my clammy forehead.

Lies. He doesn't want to be with you. Who would want to be with a freak like you?

I stiffen as the unknown voice enters my head again.

Why would anyone ever want to be with you? You lost your parents and your little brother and you were abandoned by your older brother. You have all sorts of problems. Why would anyone want to deal with that?

I snuggle deeper into Chanyeol, trying to ignore the voices. They're wrong. Chanyeol loves me. They're just trying to get under my skin.

You're a fool.

I squeeze my eyes shut and will myself to fall asleep, ignoring the words echoing around in my head.

Fool.

Just a filler. Sorry it's so short, I'll try to update soon! Please comment and tell me what you think or if you have any suggestions or ideas! I love reading comments, especially when they say something other than update! Thank you guys so much! What do you think of Suho's backstory and this strange voice Mari is hearing now? Comment and tell me!