Chapter 15

Recap: "I'm sorry I was so much trouble." I frown, shaking my head. "You were no trouble at all. I can't imagine what you were going through and I'm sorry that I wasn't there to prevent this from happening. I'll be around a lot more from now on!" I promise and he looks down, but I catch a glimpse of a small smile on his face. The first real smile I've ever seen on him. "You should smile more. It looks good on you," I whisper in his ear, before turning to talk to Lay who is across from me, but not before I catch his smile widen slightly. I guess the day didn't start out perfect, but I'm glad I could end it on a bright note. I hope to see Suho smile more and slowly see his scars fade without more to replace them. I hope to see all of these boys scars fade, the physical and mental ones. I think I'm finally making some progress here.

Mari's POV

A loud beeping noise fills my ears and pulls me awake. The sheets are scratchier than I remember and feel stiff and muggy against my body. I move to shift into a more comfortable position, but find myself constricted by something. I fight to open my eyes to see what, but they stay clamped shut, as if someone has stamped them closed. I begin to panic, thrashing around. I attempt to open my mouth to scream for help, but that fails as well, and I'm left blindly thrashing on an unknown bed. What's happening? Am I perhaps a lab rat and someone is experimenting on me? "Mari!" I hear an unknown, but strangely familiar voice exclaim. I feel cold hands place themselves onto my arms and the voice calls out for help. I hear the beeping noise increase as I continue to thrash around, panic settling deep into my bones. If I could speak, I would be screaming right now. "Mari can you hear me? You need to calm down!" I hear the same voice say, before I feel a sharp prick in my arm, and the noises fade away.

My eyes shoot open and I lay in my bed, my hands shaking. What kind of a dream was that? After a few moments of laying still, I rise, unable to fall asleep, and slip on some boots and a sweater. I trudge as quietly as I can downstairs, glancing up at a clock as I pass it. 3:45 am. I sigh and step through a door I've never noticed before. I find myself in a huge garden, flowers blooming all around me. I glance back at the house, debating on whether or not I should enter, before finally deciding to go in. I slip in and let my feet guide me, my mind not completely processing anything at the moment. I find a bench and sit down, turning back the way I came, but the door has disappeared from my view. Shrugging to myself, not thinking much about it, I relax on the bench, breathing deeply, letting the sweet aroma overtake me. Slowly, I begin to feel drowsy and decide I should head back, but when I stand to go back the way I came, I notice that the path has disappeared. Frowning, I turn and notice that the whole area has changed, as if the garden is changing itself to confuse me. But that's impossible, right? There's no way the garden could change. I shake my head and begin to walk down the closest path. I must've gotten confused. There's no way the path disappeared. Panic starts to set in as I continue down the path and nothing seems familiar. The further I go, the stronger the smell of the flowers gets until it's suffocating me, making me nauseous.

I speed up, quickening my pace, but the smell is so intoxicating that I start to lose my balance, my mind muddled. I stumble and catch myself before I fall, pausing to catch my breath. That's when I hear it. Nothing. There is absolutely no sound. Not even a breeze or any noises from the house. It's completely silent. That's when I know something is off. I begin to regret ever coming in here and my vision blurs with tears. I slowly and quietly continue down the path, the hairs on the back of my neck standing tall, my arms littered with goosebumps that crawl up my neck and into my hair. As I continue on my way, the silence is replaced with a noise. Footsteps, coming in my direction. My hands and legs shake as I quicken my pace, telling myself not to look back. I break into a run as the footsteps grow louder and whoever is following me speeds up as well. By now I'm biting the inside of my cheek to keep from crying out and making too much noise as terror sets into my body. My foot catches on something, sending me tumbling to the ground. I scramble back as the footsteps stop. I slowly turn my gaze up to a pair of yellow eyes, before everything goes black.