Chapter 19

Recap: "I'm right here. I'll always be here for you," he whispers, pressing a kiss to my clammy forehead. Lies. He doesn't want to be with you. Who would want to be with a freak like you? I stiffen as the unknown voice enters my head again. Why would anyone ever want to be with you? You lost your parents and your little brother and you were abandoned by your older brother. You have all sorts of problems. Why would anyone want to deal with that? I snuggle deeper into Chanyeol, trying to ignore the voices. They're wrong. Chanyeol loves me. They're just trying to get under my skin. You're a fool. I squeeze my eyes shut and will myself to fall asleep, ignoring the words echoing around in my head. Fool.

Chanyeol's POV

I sit in my room, staring blankly at the wall. This house is so boring. Ever since Mari came, life became more fun and worth living, but recently, she's been really distant. For the past two weeks she's barely talked to me and when she does talk to me, she's always snapping and irritable. I hear a door creak and I jump to my feet, rushing out to investigate. I'm met with the tired eyes of my girl friend, who stares at me through droopy eyes.

"Mari, what are you doing awake at 3 in the morning?" I ask, stepping towards her. She steps back.

"I could ask you the same thing," she replies blankly. I try to mask the slight hurt and take another step towards her. She takes another step away.

"Is something going on? You've been really distant lately," I begin and her lazy look snaps into a glare.

"I'm perfectly fine. Even if something was wrong it would be none of your business. And if anything, you're the one who has been distant," she snaps and this time I'm not able to mask the hurt on my face.

"But, I'm not being distant now." I take another step forward and she steps back.

"I'm not in the mood Chanyeol." She turns and leave, not looking back. I slide to the floor and lean against the wall. She used formal speaking when she spoke to me.

Mari's POV

You're pathetic. Running after a boy who doesn't want you.

Shut up. You don't know anything about me or Chanyeol.

Did you see him up there? He looked miserable talking to you. He hates you.

No he doesn't.

You're annoying. A pest.

You're wrong. Chanyeol doesn't think that.

No one wants you. Not your family, not your so called 'friends'. Why would Chanyeol?

"Shut up!" I cover my ears with my hands, pulling my knees to my chest and rocking back and forth, my vision blurring. What's happening to me?

"Mari?" I jump, staring up at the figure standing over me through my tears.

"B-baekhyun." Said boy bends down to my level, a worried look on his face.

"What happened? Are you ok?" I nod, wiping at my eyes.

"I'm fine."

"Did something happen with Chanyeol?" he asks and I shake my head, rising to my feet.

"No I'm fine. I was just thinking about my family," I cover up. It's not a complete lie, it's only half of the truth. I can't tell him about what's been happening lately. Could you imagine what he, or any of the guys, would do if I told them I was hearing voices?

"Mari-"

Why are you still here? Leave. He isn't really concerned about you.

I flinch away from Baekhyun, turning my gaze to the floor.

"I'm going to bed," I mumble, shuffling my feet as I scurry past him.

"Mari wait!" I freeze in place, not turning to face him.

No don't wait. He doesn't really want you to. Why would anyone want to talk to you?

"Are you sure nothing is going on?" He places a hand on my shoulder and I shove it off, stepping away and turning to face him.

"I said I was fine!" I snap, and a look of hurt crosses his face. "I said I was fine," I repeat, quieter this time, my voice dejected. He opens his mouth to speak, but I don't wait to hear what he has to say. I turn and dash up the stairs and to my room, locking the door.

Did you see his face? He looked so hurt. You did that.

No.

All you do is cause pain to those around you.

No!

You don't belong here.

I-

You should leave.

I should leave.

It's what's best.

It's what's best.

That's it. Now we're getting somewhere.