Chapter 7- "Tricky Trade"

Hello guys! How is it going?

Dedication: @SmilingNiallxxx, @taryneckert, (@xStylzx, @BriannaThornton6, & @karrystyles because Clouds and No control are very close seconds), @holdinghoransheart, & @XxLifeIsGoodxX because Black Widow is awesome too.

Shoutout to: @Nevermind_MP for the amazing comment

Answer: Act my age & Hawkeye

Words: 2288 words!

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------

The water was calm, and for some reason I was hopeful of what was to come today. We weren’t far from Tortuga now, a couple hours at the most, and that caused the entire crew to be anxious. We were all strung high with anticipation, and not finding the key here will kill everyone’s spirits. We had had our fair share of rejections, travelling so far and searching so hard only to come up empty handed. That was until we finally found the map, and then everyone had hope again. It was crushing to realize we needed the key, and the map wasn’t complete, but it still gave us hope that we wouldn’t have to be cursed forever.

I was looking out at the calm sea, mind swirling with anxious thoughts of what this stop in Tortuga would bring us. I didn’t know if the crew would be able to handle another let down. We had been searching for this for so long that it just seemed like some unattainable fairytale, a myth or bedtime story. Not something that existed. I think that was the crew’s biggest fear, chasing something for so long and it not actually existing. To have used so much time and hope and energy on something we would never find.

I was pulled from my thoughts by someone clearing their throat. I turned my head to see Harry standing there, toes pointed towards each other, one hand nervously running through his hair while he looked down. Cute.

“Um, sorry to interrupt Captain but I was wondering if I could talk to you.” He mumbled anxiously, and I nodded smiling kindly to the nervous boy. It had been like this since the day I had pulled him from the sea: nervous, but he came to me when he needed someone to talk to. He had begun to open up a bit, and he actually talked to me without absolutely needing to. “I- I well I never got to thank you for helping me that day.” He stuttered and I smiled a little wider at how adorable the boy truly was. We had grown a little closer since that day, and now I would miss the boy’s presence a bit if he was to leave.

“Yer welcome.” I insisted, and turned to look back over the sea. Harry stepped up to stand next to me, the mop he was using perched precariously on the side of the ship. The sea stayed calm, water frothing only slightly as it churned. Harry was still anxious about standing so close to the edge, and wouldn’t do it unless I was standing with him. He claims that the others would leave him, and although the words made me frown I didn’t argue. I knew some of them would.

Harry had also grown somewhat close to Zayn, and I understood why. Zayn was kind hearted and caring, and even though Harry was still a prisoner, Zayn never treated him like one. Zayn had gone through almost the exact same thing, starting off on the ship as a slave but soon became another member of the family. I’m sure he regrets it sometimes, if he hadn’t joined the crew he wouldn’t be cursed with eternal life, but he says he would never change what happened for all the gold in the world. So, he treats everyone the way they deserve to be treated while on this ship, including Harry and I’m sure he’s grateful for that.

We stayed silent, both staring over the calm waters for the remainder of the journey to Tortuga. Harry was almost pressed up against my side, and with each taunting wave that splashed up against the ship’s side he took a step closer. I’m sure it was completely unintentional, but it still made me a little happy to know he felt a little safe with me. Even though I wasn’t exactly aiming to be someone that’s known for safety, I still felt happy about it. My reputation wasn’t at stake, I was exactly who I am when I’m on the ship, outside of it then I’m the notorious and plundering Captain Niall James Horan.