Chapter 3- "Family"

Well hello, new chapter! Yay!

How are you guys liking this so far?

Dedication to:@NoControlNarry, @Nevermind_MP, @obsessedwith5boys, @SmilingNiallxxx, @BriannaThornton6 (hello daughter!), @Gee_Annette, @horan_crazymofo, @tiirawr, @taryneckert, @chickfileigh, @amandasmith12356, @SociallyAwkwardNate, and @TineLoveHarry.

Thank you all for your comments :D

EARLY UPDATE, WHAT IS THIS?!?!?!

Enjoy!

(P.S. this story is in Niall’s POV unless stated otherwise)

--------------------

“No bloody way, I had no idea” I snapped, huffing a bit to try and catch my breath from the impact of hitting the deck where I had the air knocked out of me. Liam took a step back, his hands raised in surrender- one stained in various places with blood, the other slightly grimy probably from doing some cleaning while we were docked. I couldn’t help but chuckle, feeling slightly bad for snapping at the caring boy. He cared, and that was all that mattered- the crew was like a big family, and nothing would change that. His face that held a trace of fear changed to one of slight relief, and soon a smile fell upon his lips.

“Sorry Capt’n.” he said sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck, and I smiled at the man. To be honest, the shot wound wasn’t that bad, I mean I’ve had much worse. The impact and getting the wind knocked out of me was worse. From what I could see through the slight tear in my- now slightly bloodstained- sleeve of my coat it was a clean hit. The bullet had gone straight through, leaving behind a small circular opening that allowed a small trickle of blood to run down my arm and stain more of my coat. Initially it had hurt like hell, but now it was more of a dull throbbing rather than a searing pain. It was more of a flesh wound than anything else, and there was really nothing to worry about. I would live- happily so- and continue to torment the seas.

I shrugged off my coat, biting my lip at the pain that shot down my arm at the movement. It was a little worse, but it was quick like lightning and then it was gone. Liam stepped over to me once again, this time less careful with Dan by his side. Dan held a bucket with sloshing water and a few stark-white cloths. He handed Liam a cloth- after dipping it in the water- and Liam gently cleaned up my arm. He washed away the trail of blood, and carefully dabbed at the opening of the wound. Once the front side of my bicep was clean, he moved to clean the backside where the bullet had entered.

 Liam was the gentle type of person, when he wanted to be, and was caring towards all who lived on the ship. Except the rats, he absolutely despised those. He was the go to guy for when you were injured or sick, kind of like our designated doctor. His father had been a doctor, and when Liam was little he went to work with his father quite often- he was a quick learner, picked up quite a few tricks. His mother had died right after he was born, so his father was all he had. He had two older sisters (who got married young to very rich men so they could survive), but he hasn’t heard from them in years, decades almost. His father died when Liam was 7 years old, and then he was alone. My father had found him, begging for change because that was all he could do at such a young age, and had taken him in, made him one of us, made him a pirate. Liam caught on pretty quick, and soon enough he was one of us, he was like a brother to me- he was my brother- and we looked out for one another.

Once the whole area was clean, he handed Dan the soiled rag and Dan handed him another one, this time it was dry. Liam gently wrapped it around my bicep, making sure to cover both the entry and exit site. He then tied it tightly, causing me to suck in a breath when he tugged on the final knot because it pressed roughly on the tender skin. He shot me an apologetic smile, but I wasn’t angry. I smiled at him, clapping him lightly on the shoulder causing him to beam. Although he was older, he was like a little brother to me, and I could see all he wanted to do was make me proud. I was like an older brother to him, and he had no one else to look up to, look out for, no one else to look out for him. I accepted that role, to most of the crew I was like an older brother and a best mate. We were a family on this ship, and nothing would change that.