Chapter 5- "Dancing sea"

So, I've decided against doing either, only because I don't want to make any of you uncomfortable. I will however put those ideas into a one-shot, that's done - so if you're interested in that then there you go.

Thank you all for your honest opinions, it truly does mean a lot.

Dedication to: @TineLovesHarry (I used your dedication question), @XxLifeIsGoodxX, @chickfileigh, @theblueinhiseyes, @xStylzx, & @Nevermind_MP (because your comment really was amazing)

Answer: 3 siblings

Enjoy!

Fun fact: Tortuga is a real island in Haiti, where Pirates used to trade and use as a safe haven. Yes, I'm a nerd, I know aha.

Also, I would like to point out that I am in love with the new cover.

{There was a bit of confusion about 'The elixir of Life' it's named that not because it gives eternal life- although it does for people without the curse Niall and the crew are under- but instead it reverses the effect of the curse, and gives the crew to live 'normal' lives. Normal life lengths, so instead of living forever they will get the chance to grow old.}

--------------------------------

Shouts filled the air as everyone prepared the ship, securing lines, raising flags, so we could head to Tortuga. The ship turned gently, only a foot or so left, and I watched as the wind billowed out the sails. The ship picked up speed, and soon we were cruising through the sea. It would take days to reach Tortuga, but the faster we got there, the faster we would know if the key was there or not. We needed that key.

The ship rocked as it parted the sea before us, waves clashing against the side of the ship, a trail of sea foam following behind us. The air was crisp, fresh, salty, like the air should be. Not filled with the rank smell of beggars and animals, not filled with begging and shouts but instead the serene sound of the sea and laughter of the crew. This was truly where we belonged, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I would spend the rest of my life on this sea, but I wanted an end to life eventually.

Only minutes later a very shaken looking Harry stumbled up the steps to where I was calmly watching the sea. He leaned heavily on the side rail, breathing harshly as the ship swayed. I wanted to laugh at the boy, but I couldn't find it in me. He honestly looked stricken, terrified, and I was concerned for him. Not that I would admit that to anyone, because he was just a prisoner.

"First time on a ship?" I questioned, knowing that by the look in his eyes that it was. I didn't want to give him shit for it, for some odd reason that I couldn't figure out. He nodded, eyes wide, cheeks puffed as he exhaled deeply. "You'll get used to it." I reassured, moving my gaze from his face to the sea dancing calmly around us. "Just breathe through your nose, close your eyes, relax. Once that initial shock is over, you'll feel better." I mumbled, pushing off from the railing and walked away. I could feel his gaze on my back as I jogged up the second set of steps, walking up to the Helm where Cal was driving.

I shook my head, cursing myself for being nice to the boy. He was a prisoner, a slave, nothing more- nothing deserving kindness. He was no one of importance, no one that had earned my respect or kindness, so why was I giving it to him? Why was being kind to him so effortless? It shouldn't be, yet it is.

I decided against thinking about it, about him, and about what he does to me, instead focusing on the plan of attack. How would we find the key? I thought more of what was to come in Tortuga, remembering the slave trade aspect of the island. Maybe it would be in my best interest to sell him, surely I could find a better slave if I wanted one. One that wouldn't sass me, wouldn't be a smart ass, wouldn't make me wonder what the hell was wrong with me. Someone that would go by completely unnoticed by me, someone disinteresting. But I didn't think that would work. Sadly, I think I would miss him if the small pang in my heart was anything to go by. It was time to accept that he was anything but ordinary, time to accept that he was different- although I haven't yet decided if it's a good or bad thing.

The ship lurched, a larger wave bashing against the side, and a whimper sounded from the steps. I walked over to them, seeing Harry clutching the rail with a deadly grip, face pale, eyes wide, tears brimming. He was like a small child, scared out of his wits. I couldn't stop the sympathy for him, and I couldn't stop myself from reaching out my hand. He stared at it for a minute, before the ship swayed again and he leapt onto me, clutching my shirt for dear life. I was shocked, but slowly wound my arms around his waist and held him tight. All I had to do was hold him, and everything would be alright.

I shuffled a bit, moving to lean against a railing, holding him close to me, comforting him. This all just felt so right, but it frightened me. I shouldn't feel this way for him- I couldn't- not for someone I was keeping prisoner. I always imagined finding another pirate, or maybe even a common folk, maybe even a noble, and growing old with him. But I never imagined falling for a prisoner of mine, but then again, life doesn't usually go the way you want it to. I wasn't falling for him, thankfully, but I didn't see him as a prisoner- at least not 100%. I saw him as someone that would fit in, as part of the crew. I didn't quite know how I felt about it.

It took a few minutes for him to finally calm down again, breaking away from me. He looked at me with calculating eyes, brows furrowed and I wanted to coo at how cute he looked. Not cute.

"'M sorry." He mumbled, and I nodded gently. He wasn't the first to have reacted like that, and I was sure he wouldn't be the last. He walked over to the other side of the ship, leaning against the side, looking out at the swirling sea below us. The sky was clear, not a cloud on the horizon, and the sun beat down on the deck. On occasion, mist would spray up and slick the deck, causing boots to squeak as they walked over the slippery surface. And there was still at least one person that fell because of the wetness. The sea seemed a little less calm today, happily swishing and playfully jumping at the ship. It was like a dog begging to be played with, a sense of excitement controlling its actions.

I watched Harry carefully, watched as his hands clenched into fists and unclenched, watched as he set his jaw, ground his teeth, how his left leg shook just a bit with nerves. I watched as the breeze tossed his curls around, tugging lightly at his shirt. I watched as with each splash of the water his eyes widened a bit, and he looked like he would step away from the side but didn't. I watched as his eyes glinted with fear and determination, how his eyes showed his internal battle, the internal don't-be-a-wuss pep talk.

I also watched as when a large wave hit the opposite side of the ship and he went toppling over the edge.

----------

A bit short, but I needed to end it there. Sorry guys.

What did you think about that little Narry comfort session?

Has anyone else started off like Harry and made their way to 'crew status'? If so, who?

How is Niall going to react to him toppling overboard? Will he freak, try and help him, or will he make Harry help himself?

How is the crew going to act?

Did any other members see the embrace? How will they react to that if they did?

Will Harry be shaken or will he realize that the ocean wasn't truly that bad?

Will something get to him before them?

How about that vulnerable side to Harry? To Niall?

I want to thank you all for reading this story. It means a lot to me.

What do you think of the new cover?

Dedication to the commenter that can guess:

Which (completed) work of mine I am most proud of?

OR

My favorite cookie?

P.S comments that draw my attention also usually get dedications, I love reading what you guys think of the chapter, love seeing you guys digging deep and relating it to your lives.

ALSO: thank you @peaked for the great cover! (It's the pic on the side)

100 votes and comments for an update by Thursday?

Xx Val