Chapter 1- "Pilot"

New story! Finally!

Hope you guys like it. :)

Pages: 6, words: 3,055

Enjoy!

-----

Water sloshed calmly against the smooth wood of the ship- it had been scraped of barnacles just days prior to its docking- resulting in a mist of salty water to leap at the sides. It was something I was accustomed to, the rocking of the sea, the smell of the ocean and the taste of the crisp yet salty air. Something I was still trying to get used to no longer being on the ocean, docking and actually walking around on dry land. Even weirder, was when it wasn’t in a place where ‘our kind’ was welcomed, when it was in a place where we could be lynched just for doing what we do. We all have to make sacrifices, and as long as I can hide the slight discomfort of being on land around such posh people who believe that we deserve to die, then we would all be fine. If anyone notices the discomfort, they are they are advised against saying anything, lest they have a death threat.

My name was something only told in scary tales, or a little motivation for children to behave. No one wants to be the Captain Horan’s prisoner; no one gets out alive to tell the tale. I guess that makes people believe in my cruelty. It may not even be true, or it could be, but no one gets to honestly tell the tale. Even people I’ve encountered have never spoken of our meetings, unless they brag that they’ve survived such an encounter. At least, that’s what I’ve heard.

The ship sidled up to the port, the capstan allowing the anchor to fall into the salty water. The gangplank was lowered and I sighed in discontent but walked down it and onto the worn dock anyways. I’ve never been a fan of British ports, or any ports for that matter- anything that wasn’t made specifically for pirates actually. Seagulls cried above us, telling me the ocean was wear I belonged. People bustled around- mostly lower class workers- packing and unpacking the ships they had rode in on. A plump man with very round, red cheeks and eyes that were much too small for his head walked towards us, albeit very slowly- cautiously. A small boy followed behind him quietly, curiously watching me but I could see the fear that flashed through his eyes. The man spoke to him, his second chin jiggling with each warning word, sweat dotting at his forehead. I could see the fear in both sets of eyes, watching as the man glanced between my ship and me- each time causing more fear to flood his eyes, and more sweat to begin making its way down his exceedingly round face.

The dark sails were drawn, while we docked, cannons put away but it still looked scary to all those that even chanced a glance at it. The ship contrasted wildly with all of the surrounding ships- black against the whites, blues, light browns, and tans of the other ships. Even we stood out, our finer pirate gear clashing against the rags that most of these workers wore. Rips littered their clothes, while mine was almost something someone of the higher class would wear- had it not been illegal, or if it was a bit more posh. The pair could obviously see that contrast, their eyes lighting up with fear like a ship on fire. I couldn’t help but smirk at their fear.

I loved the fear.

Luke stepped off and made his way to my right, watching the frightened pair slowly walk closer to us, a smirk etched on his face as well. I wasn’t the only one that enjoyed the fear that everyone had when it came to us. The man’s short chubby legs brought him closer, his cheeks became even redder, his eyes were wide, and swear poured down his face faster causing what little hair he had to stick to his scalp. I bit back a wicked laugh as the boy stepped back to hide behind the man’s wide body, only his eyes peeking out over the side of the man- eyes glistening in fear and wonder. How cute.

I didn’t move, instead opting to see if this man would make the smart choice and leave us be, or if he would instead ask us for the fee. I watched as his hands shook more with each step closer to us until they were almost violently shaking, causing the coins in his box to shake and rattle and his book to jump up and down in his chubby fingers. His lips moved, revealing yellowed teeth, but no sound came out- probably a silent prayer. He would need more than one if he decided to make the wrong choice.