Friday, October 20 Cont'd

LEVI POV

"What do you want to do later?" I asked Maci as I wrapped my arms around her.

We were standing outside her sixth hour.  "I think Skylar wants to come over."

"Are you going to be up for that?" I asked, pulling away so I could look down at her.

She shrugged her shoulders, "I told him I'd probably be pretty tired."

"Alright, if you're sure." I said nodding my head.  "Is he riding home with us?"

"Nope, just you and me." She said.  She threw herself into my arms again, leaning up on her toes to give me a kiss. "Love you Levi."

"Love you too." I said as she pulled away to go into her class.  "Oh Maci."

"Yeah."

"Have you talked to Jared yet or anything?"  I asked, she shook her head no.  "Alright."

"Why?" She asked, her eyebrows pinched together.

If anything, now I had more reasons to hate the guy but what I wanted didn't matter anymore.  If Maci thought she needed Jared in her life I'd figure out away to make him change his mind.

"I don't know just curious.  I would have thought you'd have talked to him by now."  I said trying to play it off like I wasn't interested in the guy.

She nodded her head, "I want to I just don't know what to say."

"He'll come around, don't worry about it."  I said, "I gotta go though, I'll see ya after class."

"Okay love you." She said, turning to go into class again.

"Love you too."

I spun around, I had an idea of where Jared would be simply from passing by him everyday in passing at this time.  I took the stairs two at a time to the next floor and turned down a hallway.  The halls were already starting to clear but I could have cared less if I was late.  I scanned the hall looking for Jared as quickly as I could.

"Hey Jared!" I yelled, my voice rising above the noise.

He turned around, his face blank as he stood there waiting for me to reach him.  I took a deep breath, slowing my steps, as I got closer.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" I said, his friends that were around him slowly retreating.

He nodded his head, clearing this throat as he croaked out an unsure, "Yeah."

I waited a minute, watching as everyone isolated us.  "How's it going?"

"Fine." He said as he stared at me.

"I'm here for Maci not because I want to be your friend or something.  But she's really upset that when she told you, you walked away.  I have no idea why but she is and that's the last thing she needs right now.  She needs everyone to be there for her."  I said, my eyes dancing around to the people still lingering in the hallway.  Jared didn't say anything.  "It's not like you're going to catch it." I snapped.

"That's not why...I just...I can't.  I'm sorry." He started walking away.

I shook my head; apparently walking away was the only thing he could handle.  I stood there for a minute, watching his retreating back.

"Is it because of Matt?" I yelled.  His shoulders tensed as he came to a halt, his head down.  "Running away from her because she might die isn't gonna make it easier."  He didn't move but I knew I had his attention finally.  Maci might not have realized why he wimped out but I did.  I understood.  Some days I felt like running away from it all too.  "At least this time you get a warning."