Wednesday, October 4

LEVI POV

Maci and I stayed on her floor; she was still curled in my arms.Her breathing had regulated as sleep overtook her.My shirt was wet from where her tears had soaked it.I carefully shifted out from underneath her, wiping my silent tears with the back of my hand.I scooped Maci up, placing her in her bed.I pulled a blanket over her before shutting the light off and going down stairs.My parent's were still curled up on the couch watching TV just like I left them.I stood on the bottom step, knowing I had to tell them.It was going to suck, but it'd be easier if I did it then Maci. It had to be at least midnight but I knew it was now or never. I cleared my throat and took a deep breath, wiping my face again.

"Dad." My voice was scratchy and low.I cleared my throat trying again."Dad.Mom."

"Yeah honey?" My mom said, picking her head up off my dad's shoulder.

"Do you guys have a minute?" I was terribly aware that my voice was shaking.

"Of course son." My dad said, the TV went black instantly.

I ran my hand through my hair as I walked toward the couch.My mom patted the seat beside her.I sat down, putting my head in my hands.I just wanted to cry.My worst fear was coming true.Again.

"What's the matter Levi?" My dad asked.

How do I say this?Do I just blurt it out?Or do I try and make them guess?I sighed heavily, wiping the tears that insisted on escaping my eyes.I raised my head, my eyes meeting my dad's.His eyes widened when he saw my face before panic and fear took over.

"Levi tell me." He insisted.

I felt my mom gently rub my back.She waited silently.I hastily wiped my eyes again, telling myself to just blurt it out.Any way it would come out.They had to know and I had to do it.

"It's back." I choked out.

My voice strained as I instantly started sobbing.I didn't care if I looked weak.The thought of Maci having to go through everything again was more than I could handle.My mom pulled me into her arms, gently stroking my hair as she whispered in my ear.I felt the couch move and assumed it was my dad.I wrapped my arms around my mom holding on to her like Maci held on to me.

"Honey, it's okay." She whispered."We don't even know for sure yet."

"B..but...you..you should ha...ve...heard her." I mumbled through sobs.

My mom methodically stroked my back as I cried.I knew I was thinking the worst.That maybe it was just Maci's imagination.But there was always the chance that she was spot on.That it had come back and we were in for one hell of a ride again.When my full on sobbing turned into a slight whimper, I raised my head out of my mom's lap.I wiped my nose with the back of my hand, giving my mom a small smile.

"It's going to okay sweetie." She placed her hands on either side of my face and kissed my forehead.

"Why does this have to happen to her?" I mumbled, my breathing shaky and ragged.

"Sweetheart." My mom said gently.She took my hand and squeezed it gently."We don't even know if it's back."

"I'm so scared." I choked out, an endless stream of silent tears falling down my face.

My mom kissed my temple standing from the couch and disappearing.I was so lost and confused.She was in remission.This wasn't supposed to happen.We were supposed to be in the clear.My mom returned, I felt the couch sink next to me.I heard the tell tale sign of Kleenex being yanked from the box before she tilted my face towards her.She gently wiped my tears away.

I inhaled, the lump in my throat constricting my breathing."Mom."

"I know honey." She wrapped her arms around me as I once again began to cry."I know."