Thursday, December 21 & Saturday, December 23

LEVI POV

"Alright, just a little pinch in both arms and we can get this started." The nurse said.

I couldn't remember her name. I had tried like mad to remember it but my nerves had overtaken and it slipped from my mind as fast as it came. I swallowed, nodding my head. I hated getting poked with needles.

I took a deep breath, trying to ignore the pounding of my heart and the nausea trying to stir itself up in my stomach. I looked away, staring at the wall like it held the secret to happiness, as the nurse placed her hand on my arm.

I was doing a PBSC or peripheral blood stem cell donation. From what I gathered, they were taking blood out of one arm, taking the stem cells from it and sticking it back in my other arm. My blood was just going for a little ride outside my body.

I tensed, letting a strangled breath out as the pinch came from the needle insertion. One more to go. I looked over at my arm as the nurse started taping things in place.

"You handled that like a pro. Second one will be even easier." She commented.

I wanted to tell her I felt like puking every time I thought too much about needles and the fact that there was a tube sticking out of my arm. That if this wasn't for my sister I wasn't sure I'd be doing it. Which was even more selfish than it sounded if that was possible. Instead I just smiled a little and hoped she couldn't tell I was still shaking.

"It's pretty awesome what you're doing." The nurse said.

"Huh?" I mumbled, once again trying to focus anywhere but on the needle and my arm.

"Donating." She clarified.

I shrugged. "Not much thought to it when it's your sister."

"Well she's a very lucky girl to have you as her brother." She said. "Another little pinch."

I braced myself for the pinch. I knew it wasn't going to really hurt. I'm sure there were things that were a thousand times more painful but it didn't change the fact that I wanted to cry like a baby.

"And all done." She rubbed the last piece of tape flat against my skin.

Now came the easy part. I just had to sit there watching my blood pass in and out of my body. I just had to think of it as something other than my blood, like fruit punch, otherwise my stomach started to twist and I felt like I might pass out. I was probably the biggest wimp. Good thing I had no aspirations to become a doctor.

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes, letting the nurse do her thing. Maybe I could just fall asleep for a few. Then I'd wake up and it'd all be over with and no one would see me make a fool of myself. I let my mind pass through topics like a bing commercial until I found something far enough removed from what was going on but intriguing enough to hold my attention. It happened to be Emma. I felt a smile pull at the corners of my mouth at the thought of her. I hadn't had time to see her the past few days but I was hoping by mid week I'd be able to. I needed to give her her Christmas present. I couldn't wait. I was pretty sure I got the best gift. At least I thought it was.

I felt my body relax a little. The room had gone quiet. Maybe this wasn't so bad.

-------------

MACI POV

It was two days post transplant. One day before Christmas Eve.

I was curled up in bed with my eyes shut. My room had been busy but quiet the past few days. It was a constant revolving door of doctors and nurses. I felt like they had no other patients to tend to. My parents had been around. At least one of them was always here, every time I woke up anyway. Levi was at home recovering but usually I had a text from him when I woke up. I'd respond and by the time he'd answer back, I'd be asleep again.