Monday, January 15

LEVI POV

I followed Jared down the hallway toward the auto shop class. He seemed confidant he could get us out of school without us getting in to trouble. So even though I didn't understand how the shop class had anything to do with it there I was trucking behind him.

"Just wait here."

Jared left me standing in the deserted hallway. I had only left school a couple times while it was actually in session. Every single one of those times my parents got called. I ran my hand over my head before shoving my beanie on. It was freezing outside, the weather had been unable to commit itself to one element the night before which left everything covered in snow with some ice here and there. I didn't understand how we still had school much less how we were expected to drive in it. I had come to the conclusion that Michigan drivers were crazy.

"Alright we're good." Jared said. He flashed a pink slip of paper between his fingers. "These doors never have the alarm on."

He shoved through he doors at the end of the hallway. The cold air hit me like a wall sending a chill straight through me.

"I'll drive." Jared said. "My cars right there."

"Is it good in the snow?" I asked, a little skeptical of the old car.

It sat low to the ground and looked like it had been around for every winter since the beginning of time.

"Could be worse." He said with a shrug.

"Here." I tossed my keys at him. "You can drive my car."

At least it was an SUV and it had 4 wheel drive. Although I was yet to be convinced 4 wheel drive really did anything. Jared didn't protest and I was grateful for it. I'm sure his car was fine but I didn't want to risk it.

I sat rigid in the passenger seat of my car as Jared pulled out of the parking lot. I couldn't help but notice how he drove so nonchalantly like there wasn't snow and ice everywhere. I held my breath for every brake and every turn.

"You can breathe you know." Jared said. "It's not that bad out."

I snorted. "What are you talking about? They haven't even plowed yet."

He shrugged. "They won't unless it snows more. They salted the main roads, the rest should be melted enough by noon."

"You all are nuts." I said.

Jared laughed. "You'll get use to it."

We fell back into silence, Jared cruising around like it was summer out and me tense beyond belief. I was waiting for the car to slip and for us to end up in a ditch. Each time we came to a stop at a light I was amazed we were still on the road and in one piece. I really needed to figure out how many more months there was left for Michigan's winter.

"Have you read it?" I asked, my knuckles turning white from gripping the handle on the door.

Jared turned, looking left than right first. He glanced at me once the wheel was straightened and we were moving forward again.

"No. I haven't." He said.

I nodded my head. There wasn't any point asking why he hadn't. I already knew. He was afraid too read it too .

"I will before Friday." He added. "I promise."

"No big deal." I said, even though it was definitely the opposite. "Are you and Skylar going to the assembly?"

He shrugged. "Skylar won't. I doubt he'll even be in school all week. I'll probably skip the assembly too though."

I felt the tires slip as he turned into the hospital parking lot. I braced, squeezing my eyes shut as I gripped the the handle on the door and the center console. I felt Jared shift my car into another gear right before he regained control.