Monday, November 6 Cont'd

MACI POV

I sat at my piano, still growing use to the idea that it was here. That it was mine. After selling my piano in Florida when we moved I had hoped to get another but when I was diagnosed again I didn't think it would happen. It was an expensive purchase, especially new. Especially when I might only play it a handle full of times. I lifted the lid to the keys, pushing it back into place. I could hear my mom and Joanna still in the kitchen. Still talking. Luckily they had lost interest in my love life for the time being and I might have failed to mention that Jared might swing by later. I was hoping Joanna would be gone by then otherwise we'd never leave the kitchen. I ran my cold fingers across the keys, sliding a little forward on the bench to reach the pedals. The thing about music is at some point it touches everyone in some way. Someone hears a song playing in the background when they fall in love or someone's having a bad day and they turn their car on and there's this song that just relates so perfectly it's like it was written for them, by them. It's a universal thing. Everyone experiences a song that hits them at some point in their life. But it's different when you're the one that's playing the music. It not only touches you but it transports you. It takes you to a world where nothing exists but what you want to exist. It's your escape; it's your refuge.

For me it's a world without loss, a world without having to be brave. It's a world without cancer.

I paused between songs, never long; just enough to release a little tension soak up the ecstasy that was coursing through my veins. That release of an untouchable high that you can't get from drugs but only from something you truly love.

"Wow."

I didn't even have to turn around to know who it was. I smiled continuing to face my piano.

"Did you bring my sherbet?" I asked.

"I did." Jared said, a smile in his voice as he sat down on the piano bench beside me.

"Where is it then?" I raised my head my eyes locking with his.

"Well you see, I've already been here for a half hour." I raised my eyebrows as he explained. "It all started when I knocked on the door."

My eyes widened knowing all to well that my mom let him in.

"I was greeted by your lovely mother before being escorted to the kitchen where I met the equally as friendly but not quite as lovely as your mother, Joanna. That then led to a round of 20 questions which I must say was much longer than 20 actual questions."

I shook my head, "I'm so sorry."

"Eh it was alright, I know how to charm the moms." He shrugged, a playful smile falling across his face.

"I'm sure they loved every second of it." I answered.

"You can ask them while I scoop us some sherbet." He slid off the piano bench and held his hand out for me. "By the way I hope rainbow is fine. I couldn't decide which flavor to get because you never said so I figured this way I have three shots at getting it right." I took his hand and he pulled me up as he continued to talk. "I made sure it wasn't all swirled together it's layered like a Neapolitan that way if you hate a flavor I can just not scoop that one. Or if you like only one I can just scoop that one."

"Jared." I said, ending the story on his thought logic. He glanced back at me as he led me toward the kitchen. "Rainbow is perfect."

That was what made Jared different. Not only did he go buy me sherbet because I asked for it, he considered what flavor I'd like rather then just grabbing one and calling it good. It still amazed me that the cocky, arrogant Jared that walked up to me on the first day of school in class was nothing like the Jared that was leading me through my house.