Tuesday, October 31

This is a brand new chapter that did not exist before the edit. ENJOY - DBR

LEVI POV

"Hey." I said, sitting down on Maci's bed after school. She had stayed home from school, still recovering from her procedure the day before.

"Hi." She mumbled, adjusting slightly in her bed so I had room.

I stretched out alongside her, she nestled into my side, I could feel her port pressed up against my arm.

"It's Halloween." I said. She nodded her head. "Up for anything?"

She let out a sigh, I knew that sigh. It was the she wanted to say yes but she knew she wouldn't have the energy sigh.

"We could just pass candy out." I offered.

"What's everyone else doing?" She asked, lifting her head slightly to look at me.

"Well Greg said he wanted to hang with us but he was down for whatever you were up for. I didn't really talk to anyone else." She nodded her head, closing her eyes as she rested her chin on my chest. "Do you want to hang out with people or just us?"

"I just don't want to ruin anyone's night. What if they want to go trick or treating? I don't think I'm up for that."

"I'll just text everyone, tell them we are passing out candy. If they want to hang out they can come over." I said, easing out from under her to go find my phone. "Am I inviting Skylar and Jared?"

"I'll do them." She said. "Do we have any of our old costumes?"

I shrugged, "I'll ask mom."

"We didn't even decorate." Maci sat up on her bed, her T-shirt laying limp against her bony shoulders.

"We can throw something together. It's only 3."

Her face lit up with a smile. Maci always liked things to be festive. I left her room, locating my phone in my room before I headed downstairs to find my mom. I sent a text to Greg, Jackie, and Emma. Within a few seconds I had replies.

"Hey mom!" I called, walking through the house and coming up empty. "Mom!"

"Downstairs!" Her voice rang out.

I skipped down the stairs, my footsteps sounded like a herd of elephants. I landed on the floor of the basement, scanning the room.  My mom was sitting on the floor, dusting the lower shelf of the coffee table in front of the couch.

"Do we have Halloween decorations?" I asked, falling over the back of the couch. "And costumes?"

"Are you guys going out?" She asked, setting her rag down to put the magazines back on the shelf of the coffee table.

I shook my head no, "We are going to pass out candy. Emma, Jackie, and Greg are going to come hang out too."

"Sure, come help me find the tubs Nd then I'll run to the store and buy candy." 

My mom held her hand out for me to help her up. I grabbed her hand and in one swift motion had her to her feet.

"When did you get so big?" She asked, looking up at me.  I shrugged. "I used to be able to carry you."

I smiled, wrapping my arms around her. I had the best mom.

"So what kind of box are we looking for?" I asked, walking into the storage part of the basement.

"They should say Halloween on them, I think they're black and orange. Maybe two or three."

We picked our way around, looking under things that had haphazardly been discarded there when we moved in.