Thursday, January 4 & Monday, January 8

MACI POV

I sat with the coil pot between my folded legs. I had my gray beanie on my head, my hair was just barely poking through. I had a dark red sweater on and a pair of gray leggings. My usual attire at the hospital. It was comfy, it was warm and it was so much better than a hospital gown. I watched my phone screen as I waited for it to say connecting...

"Were you sleeping?" I asked a little horrified I had clearly woken him up.

"Mmm." He hummed sleepily.

He had his eyes shut, his hair was a mess and the scruf of his five o'clock shadow was visible.

"I'm sorry, call me later."

I was already reaching for the end button when his blue eyes popped open.

"I needed to get up." He said, shifting in his bed.

"Are you sure?" I asked, biting my lower lip.

He nodded, a lazy smile falling across his face. "How are you?"

"Good, I saw Jackie today." My concern about disrupting his sleep gone almost instantly.

He rubbed his eyes before running his hands through his blond hair making it even more unruly if that was possible.

"Oh yeah? You're allowed to have visitors now?" His eyes brightened a little. "How do I get my name on that list?"

I smiled, excitement welling up inside my chest. "I'll find out."

Jared let out a yawn, shifting in his bed again.

"So like I said, I saw Jackie today." I repeated.

I was waiting for him to catch on. I wasn't sure if he had even read my text from earlier.

"So you said." He answered.

I smiled, watching him, waiting. He stared back, his blue eyes dancing between mind as the gears in his mind slowly started to turn. When he still didn't say anything, I grabbed the coil pot that was resting in my lap.  He let out a laugh that warmed my heart.

"I thought I said no presents." I teased, my smile matching his.

"It doesn't technically count as a present. I didn't buy it and it is the world's ugliest, useless pot." He explained. "I think Mrs. D. feels bad failing me. She's given me the lowest passing grade on everything except for your pot I turned in."

I laughed, turning the ugly pot in my hands to study it once more.

"Well I love it." I said after a moment.

"Well I love you." He said.

I felt the heat rush to my cheeks. I wasn't sure if I'd ever get use to hearing him say that. It made my chest tighten in the best way possible, like I was going to explode with happiness.

"What?" Jared said, turning to look off screen.

"Feeling any better?" I heard his moms voice but couldn't see her.

"Yeah, Maci's on the phone." He replied.

"Oh, sorry honey. Tell her I said hi." She said. "When you're done we need to talk about...things."

I watched, my curiosity peaked. What 'things'? I waited silently until he turned his attention back to me.

"Are you sick?" I asked.

He didn't look sick, just tired.

"No I'm not." He answered.

"Is everything okay?" I couldn't help the worry that was growing stronger every second that passed.