Thursday, September 14

MACI POV
I stepped out of the cafeteria and into the hallway, glancing in the direction of the pottery room. Any minute the bell would ring, but I wasn't in the mood to go to class. I took off down the hallway in the opposite direction, avoiding the route that Levi took. I was frustrated, I was mad, and I was terrified. I made my way through the deserted hallway, my mind sending itself into panic mode. The bell rang through the hallway causing me to jump, my heart beating through my chest. Instantly students filled the hall, making my quest to nowhere difficult.

"Hey baby." I heard from behind me but kept my head down and continued walking. There was no way they were talking to me. "Maci!"

I stopped, turning around in the busy hallway. If my day wasn't already going bad it would definitely go downhill now.

"Pottery's the other way." I looked up at Jared, a cocky smirk spread across his face. "Here I'll walk you."

"I...I'm not going." I stammered, looking in the direction I had been walking.

"Well where are you going?" He asked, taking a step closer.

I glanced passed him, seeing Greg. Greg meant that Levi was more than likely close by and Levi would not be happy with me skipping class. Right now though, I needed to think, I needed to sit alone and think.

"Are you okay?" Jared finally asked when I didn't answer, his voice soft.

"I'm fine." I called over my shoulder as I pushed myself through the crowd.

I wasn't going to sit there and explain myself to some arrogant guy, nor was I going to sit there and wait for Levi or Greg to see me. I picked up speed as I turned the corner seeing the exit sign above a pair of doors. The anticipation of feeling the sunshine on my skin grew as I closed in. My body came to a screeching halt right as I was reaching for the door.

"They're locked. Come on." Jared grabbed my hand leading me away. "If you're going to skip class you have to do it right."

"What do you mean?" I asked as I willingly let him drag me through the school.  His skin felt warm against mine.

"You'll see."

He led me down to where the pottery room was but kept walking as we passed the door. What was I doing? I should just go to class. Most of all what was I doing with him, of all people?

"Stay right here, I'll be back in a second." Jared said, letting go of my hand and disappearing into a classroom.

I stood frozen for a minute having an internal battle on whether or not I should stay or leave. If I left I'd have to go to class, explain why I was late for no reason, and have to sit there counting down the seconds till I had to see Levi again. Not that I didn't want to but I wasn't ready to face him. I wasn't ready to think that the cancer came back because I was sure it hadn't. If I stayed, well, who knows what would happen. I sighed, glancing down the hallway. Stay or go?

"Alright, come on." Jared appeared suddenly, causing my heart to beat through my chest again. "Easily scared?"

I shook my head, rolling my eyes. "Where are we going?"

"Auto run." He said smiling as he held up a pink slip of paper with a teacher's signature on it.

We turned around, heading for the main entrance of the school. "Really?"