Chapter SEVEN

Mikki De'lucca

"We gotta go, Mikki.. Now!"

You jump to your feet, almost slipping on the wet tile when you hear the urgency to Colt's tone as he races into the bathroom, snapping you from your lost spiraling thoughts and bringing you back to your senses.. "W-what? Why?"

He grabs a towel, reaching in to shut the water off before he wraps the soft, pale grey terry cloth around your shoulders and bustles you into the closet..
"I'll explain on the way.. I need ya to get dressed.."

You gape at him, not comprehending anything.. What is happening?.. "Colt, I don't understand--"

He gives you no time to argue, sweeping into command.. And he is.. You can practically hear the gears of his mind whir as he turns, tossing a long black and white flowery dress over to you.. Instinctive reflex has you reaching out catch the slinky cotton between shaky fingers..

"I need ya to move a little faster, Sugar.." You comply with his insistence, since he appears edgy, buzzing with urgent energy..

You move quickly to pull the dress over your head without any underwear, letting the towel fall around your ankles beneath it.. The thin fabric clings to your damp skin, and one thin straps slips from your shoulder when Colt grabs your hand..

"Wait-- My phone--"

He shakes his head firmly.. "Leave it, it's jacked, Little Darlin'.."

You fumble along behind him, almost tripping over your own feet in the haste.. "No I need it.. If Oliver calls--"

He stops, turning around to take you gently by the shoulders.. Colt's icy blue eyes search yours seriously.. So seriously your breath hitches..

He is worried.. And that freaks you out.. Because the last time you saw that look in a mans eyes, they had been Charlie's..

And and it had been the last time you'd ever seen them..

"Sugar, this place ain't safe.. You're not safe.. I need you to hear me, if we don't get out now.. I don't know that you ever will.. Something is wrong here, Mikki.. Understand?"

You nod slowly.. "That's what Charlie said.."

His stern narrowed gaze softenes on you.. "Then Charlie's a smart guy, and you should listen to him.."

You shake your head.. You had come home for a reason.. Charlie would never have understood or agreed to what you have been doing.. You doubt Colt will either.. Hell, you don't even entirely understand it yourself.. What had started as revenge has now become a way to simply torture yourself..

"Charlie is dead.." You affirm in an effort to undo some of the crazy assumptions the Cowboy must be making..

He sighs softly.. "Yeah, sweetheart.. I know what you meant.."

You sigh in defeat.. "I at least need my bag.. Please, Colt.. My-- my meds are in there.."

You glance over to your handbag slung over the bottom of the bedpost.. His head tilts in confusion, but he doesn't waste time arguing about it, striding over to scoop up the leather purse before bundling it into your arms when he returns.. "C'mon now, Sugar.. Stay with me.."

Colt pulls you out into the hallway, locking the bedroom door from the inside before he pulls it closed.. You don't know what good that will do to keep the scene inside from being discovered, but maybe delay it.. If only for a few additional minutes..