Chapter FIFTY SEVEN

Mikki De'lucca

.. over one year later..

Today you will give your first and last press conference as Godmother to the city..

After months of work dismantling your father's empire, liquidating his assets and donating all the funds you could spare to various charities you have finally brought an end to the wretched De'lucca Dynasty..

Of course, you still need to be careful.. After you had handed over all criminal trade to the Russians piece by piece in exchange for Konstantine's protection, you had begun the public campaign to rehabilitate the reputation of your family and the De'lucca name..
Your father's enemies had enjoyed his death and while they remain at large, the threat of Bratva repercussions has meant you haven't heard a peep...

Many of the men who had been in Angelo's employ took issue with your new direction and had abandoned the empire.. You know that they will only go elsewhere and join other gangs.. Maybe try their luck with other families.. But that Isn't your concern anymore..

Your high heels click a reluctant rhythm against the asphalt of the driveway as you make your way down towards the gates of the compound.. Already you can see the gathering of paparazzi and newscasters..

Shelby Quinn, stands by the gates, waiting for you.. The beautiful Marine is now the head of security detail had come highly recommended by Lemon Lennox.. Her long blonde hair pulled up in a sleek ponytail, tied with a glossy black ribbon.. Her dark leather jacket studded with sharp silver spikes..

"Ms De'lucca, everybody is here.." Shelby grimaces .

You smile with a gracious nod, hyper aware of all the burning eyes on you and the flashing of the cameras..

With a steely resolve and all the bravery you possess, you turn to face the crowd and your gaze passes over the sea of rabid reporters..

Some things never change..

"Good afternoon, everyone.." You begin your address.. "Thank you for coming out today.. If it's alright with you all, I'd like to take a few minutes of your time to make my prepared statement and then I will answer some questions.."

The cameras continue to shutter and click, but nobody interrupts you.. They all want to hear what you have to say..

You take the folded up paper from your jacket pocket, unfurling the creases with shaking hands as you clear your throat.. "Ahem.. I have lived in Dark Port City my whole life.. This place is filled with magic, and hope, there is a sense of unity found only here, and that is so rare.. There is beauty around every corner and kindness in the hearts of citizens.. But there are also shadows and sadness here.. There is pain and bloodshed.. There is seedy underbelly kept a secret which strikes fear into us all, making us too afraid to talk to eachother.. This City is my home, the people here are my family and I do not take my love for either lightly.."

You pause, peering around as cameras are lowered and they begin to listen to you.. Really listen..

"You have been burned, my brothers and sisters, and for that I am so, deeply sorry.. I know that I alone can never repay the debts or undo the damage, I know there is no simple cure to the sickness that my father profited from for so long.. I know that we suffer from a criminal illness that leaves no street safe to walk at night and no threat impossible.. I know I cannot heal those scars.. All I can do is show you who I really am.. Who I have always been, despite appearances.."

A ripples murmur snakes through the crowd at your backhanded dig towards the media, but you move quickly past it.. After all, you aren't here to point fingers or shift blame..

You are here to be honest..

"I have published, in totality, all financial reporting surrounding the sale of Angelo De'lucca's assets and have made full enquiries with each receiving NGO, all of whom are more than happy to be contacted for questions and press opportunities.. There will be transparency and accountability for all saleable assets under the De'lucca estate, and I intend to continue giving my full cooperation to law enforcement throughout the process, as I have since my fathers death.. That's all I really have to say.. So.. Um.. Thank you for listening, I'll take a couple of questions now--"

Immediately, the shouts begin, all over the top of eachother so that it becomes hard to distinguish anything..

"MIKKI--MIKKI!! WHAT ABOUT THIS PLACE, THE DE'LUCCA MANSION? WILL YOU CONTINUE TO LIVE HERE IN THE CITY YOU CLAIM TO LOVE?"

You straighten your shoulders and reply with confidence.. "The mansion will be gifted, along with several other properties to various charities, all of which will be listed in the discovery documents.. It's my understanding the estate will undergo application for approval to be converted into a public library... As for Dark Port, It remains to be seen whether or not I will stay in the city.. For now, I have no plans to leave.."

"MIKKI!! MIKKI?! ARE YOU SEEING ANYBODY? SOURCES NEVER NAMED THE MYSTERIOUS BODYGUARD YOU WERE CAUGHT EMBRACING-- IS HE STILL IN THE PICTURE?!"

You shift in your heels, caught off guard by the question.. "He is not--"

"WHAT'S HIS NAME, MIKKI?? DID HE BREAK YOUR HEART MIKKI? DO YOU THINK HE REGRETS IT NOW THAT YOU'RE TURNING YOUR LIFE AROUND?"

You laugh uncomfortably.. "I don't really know what to tell you guys.. Those pictures are from so long ago.. And they never exactly told the full story.. I only wish the man who took them could be here today.."

"WHO WAS HE MIKKI? TELL US?!"

You chew on the inside of your cheek, unprepared to be talking about Colt.. You never talk about him.. "Umm--Oh.. Well.. The man in those pictures, is a professional.. One who was hired to do a dangerous job.. A job he did to a high standard, and with integrity.. His name and the details don't seem important now, since he isn't in my life anymore.. So there is nothing else I want to say about him.. Any more questions--"

Shelby steps up to your side and grumbles in your ear.. "Thats time, Ms De'lucca.. You've got meetings--"

You nod.. "Yes, thank you Shelby.." You turn back to the crowd.. "Okay, one more question guys?"

"MIKKI!! MIKKI!! YOU NEVER MENTIONED IT IN YOUR MEMOIR, BUT YOU WERE SEEN LEAVING THE OFFICE OF RENOWN PSYCHOLOGIST, HADLEY HARPER.. HOW HAS YOUR ROAD TO RECOVERY BEEN AFTER BEING SHOT BY YOUR OWN COUSIN?"

You blink in stunned surprise.. Wow.. Nothing is sacred to these people.. Nothing.. "I--I--um.. Oh.."

Shelby moves in to save you, wrapping an arm around you back to lead you away.. "That's enough, Mikki has no obligation to discuss personal medical--"

"No.. It's okay, Shelby.. It's okay.." You take her elbow gently and she stands down with a shrug.. You take a few breaths.. You're not hiding anymore and you have nothing to be ashamed of, least of all your mental health.. "I'll be honest with you, there are days when I am good, there are days when I am great.. And then there are the rest.. But I am learning.. Growing.. Trying to be better and to do better.. That's all I can really hope for.."