Chapter THIRTEEN

Colt Knox

The bullet hole in my aching shoulder throbs painfully along with my pulse as I peek down to see that fresh blood has begun to seep its way through the bandage Lacey had patched me up with earlier.. The over-exertion of climbing the hiking trail to the peak of the viewpoint has me completely wrecked as I approach the very spot that overlooks the park where Mikki is supposed to be meeting DEA agent Oliver Reid..

Or as he is known in the intelligence community, Agent O, codename 'Orion'..

I knew I had seen the guy's face before, I'd recognised him at the gallery opening that I'd escorted Mikki to last night but hadn't been able to place the familiar face..

Honestly, I'd been too distracted by Mikki, wrapped up tight in that lacey white dress that made her look like some kind of saintly sweetheart, instead of the prairie fire that I know she really is..

Fuck!

I'm doing it again.. Thinking about her.. The sway of her hips.. Those thick
curves that I want to grip tighter than a bronc-strap.. The lick of her lips.. Her plush rosy lips, that I'd bet my finest buckle taste like red berries.. The woman is a walking fantasy, right from the pages of the glossy magazines.. And I want her.. Goddamn it ..

I've been wanting her for so damn long..

My thoughts chase themselves in circles like a mutt after its own tail..

"I can't do a damn thing, Knox, ya not hearin' me mate.. DEA isn't exactly known for their compromising attitudes.. Whatever Orion has, ya need to catch up.. And ya need to do it yesterday.."

I crush the cell dangerously in my hand, irritation heating the back of my neck, giving rise to my temper..

"Better believe it's your problem, brother, since you missed an undercover operation in progress during the briefing..
Ya never told me nothin' bout no DEA prick--"

Jake Harrison laughs down the line.. Revelling in giving me shit, like he always fucking does..
"Have another bloody go would'ya!"

See, while most people only see one side of Jake, the straight laced FBI suit
and tie type guy he reserves for the office.. I know the real Harris.. The smart mouth SAS son'of'a'bitch who saved my ass in Stryzakstan..

I don't know what it is about the crazy Australian bastard, maybe too much sun, salt and barley have rotted his brain, but ever since I've known him, the guy takes nothing seriously.. Everything is a great big fucking joke to Harris, and half the time I don't understand the words coming out of his mouth..

You can imagine then my surprise when Specter's Chief Director, Iris Santiago, put him in command during her absence.. What's more, you can imagine my rude awakening now to find, that despite the stark contrast in attitude, Jake and Iris have more in common than I'd ever have guessed..

"Heh.. Ya reckon I missed it? Ya must be thicker'n two bricks boy.." He chuckles..

Just like Iris, Harris is always a playing a game, withholding information, keeping his his cards close to his chest and working a fucking angle.. I'd known from the start there'd been more to his shiny simple contract, just another reason I'd been reluctant to take it.. Turns out I probably should've listened to my gut..

"Motherfuc--" I growl, ready to share a few choice words, but he doesn't let me start..

"You listen here mate, Iris put me in command to get shit done, and I ain't here to fuck spiders.."

I roll my eyes at the bizarre turn of phrase.. "Fuck spiders? What the fuck does that even mea--"

"Means I left out a few details, so fuckin' what? I said what had to be said to get you to take the job, a job that needs to
be done mind you.. And you agreed.. Signed on the dotted line 'n all, kid.. So get it done, Knox, or don't come back.."