Chapter SIXTY ONE

Colt Knox

As I park the Truck in the same place where Mikki and I had shared our final triste a year ago, she smiles over at me with coy appreciation.. Sucking her strawberry milkshake through a straw and batting her pretty lashes.. In the soft lights of the dash her beautiful features have an angelic glow, and for a few seconds, I have all the clarity I'll ever need.. My life would always be incomplete without her, Mikki is the only woman I'll ever want, she's my future..

"Aw hell, you're hotter'n a half-fucked fox in a forest fire, Sugar.." I smirk, my gaze drifting down her shapely figure, drinking in her creamy curved delights..

"Oh my god! What?!" Her eyes sparkle as she throws her head back to laugh, unbridled joy spilling in soft sing-song rivers from her pouty red lips.. A happy sound that I could never get enough of, smoother than Tennessee Whiskey..

"I dunno, it sounded better in my head.." I chuckle, flushing hot under the collar, unable to look away from her, since I can hardly believe any of this is real.. I've been dreaming about this for so long now and this time I don't want to wake up..

"It sounded pretty good in that sexy southern drawl to me, Sheriff.." She flirts, reaching across to trace her fingertip over the shiny gold badge pinned to my chest..

Yeah, she knows.. She knows the way she provokes me, driving me wild with her soft touch and seductive inflections..
Goddamn, I want her real bad.. I want to wreck her and have her ruin me.. The heedless glutton in me aching to fuck her into witless.. Until all kinds of crazy talk tumbles from her panting mouth..

Ah fuck.. That feisty mouth..

"You like that, huh? Never woulda pegged you for a badge-bunny, Sugar.." I reach up to wrap one of her chocolate curls around my index finger..

"I really like it.." Her adoring smile falters.. "You know-- Charlie was a police officer when I first met him.. Maybe I have a type.."

"Maybe.." I take her hand with a small consoling smile.. It's just about all I can do to show her that I can respect the memory of her husband, I can understand how any man, alive or otherwise could fall for her, and I can accept never having been her first choice.. I don't care, so long as I am any choice at all..

She entwined her fingers with mine, a brave and earnest expression in her eyes as she confides in me.. "He made me feel safe, I'd never known that kind of love before.... After he died--I didn't think I could ever feel that way again, Colt.."

"Mikki, I know I'll never live up to him--"

She brings her hand to my lips, effectively silencing me.. "Shut-up, I'm not finished."

"Yes'mam." I mumble against her fingertips..

"You're different, Colt.. I love you just the same, more than I know how to say.. But I don't need you to make me feel safe, because I learned how to do that for myself.. I don't need you to take care of me, because I am capable of looking out for myself.. I don't need you to measure yourself against a rose-tinted memory, or to be anything other than everything you are.. Colt, I don't need you for anything.."

"Are you finna fuck me and finish me again, Woman?" I chuckle nervously, feeling my pulse quicken in my throat..

Mikki giggles, shaking her head, radiating a heavenly perfume.. The scent of her sweetness fills the truck-cab.. "Just because I don't need you, that doesn't mean I don't want you.. It doesn't mean I haven't thought about you every single day for the last year.. It doesn't mean I don't want to be with you.. Colt, I don't need anything, but I want everything.."