Chapter FORTY FOUR

Mikki De'lucca 

.. one week later ..

Sunkissed, golden meadows sprawl boundlessly around you.. Bathed in warm beams of beautiful autumn light, the hills beyond the fields are speckled with flecks of dandelion yellow and forget me not blue.. 

You inhale the sweet scent of serenity as you twirl on the spot, basking in the feeling of the glow on your skin and light perfumed notes of flowers in the air.. 

As you twirl in place, your mystified attention is caught by the ambling approach of two great stallions.. One, is dark as pure midnight, his coat a glossy liquorice black.. 

The other, is gilded in a coat of silky champagne gold, with snowy white socks and a platinum mane and tail..

They're so beautiful.. 

The two striking and powerful creatures are polar opposite to each other, yet, they exactly the same.. 

Their lean muscle ripples with each powerful stride as they close the distance cautiously from atop the crest of the nearest hill.. Their deep, knowing eyes brim with emotion.. Beckoning to you, almost calling your name..

Somehow, in some unspoken way, you recognise the spirit of these animals.. You see the essence of their souls.. The swish of their silky tails and gentle nicker of their snouts summon you.. A yearning pull surges up from deep within, drawing at the well of desperate need that fills you, until mindlessly your feet begin to move.. Slowly and surely, you inch closer to the mismatched pair of Stallion's and their powerful majesty.. 

The warmth of the sunlight slips away with each step you take.. The air becomes static and charged with the threat of a storm, making the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end.. Soon the sky is blanketed in ominous grey clouds.. 

"Neeeeiigh--PFFFT!" The liquorice stallion trots restlessly in place and stomps sternly in warning.. Scraping at the ground with its hooves and swaying aggressively as it presses forward to push you back, push you away.. 

Your hand extends to touch its nose and it skitters in a flighty panic, rearing up on hind legs, the beastly black beauty bolts.. Shrinking away into the distance, disappearing at a gallop as a speck over the horizon.. 

"Oh no.. Charlie?.. Come back.." You whimper.. The sadness in you is bottomless, sinking and swelling.. The storm is inside you now.. Bleak and destructive.. Consuming as it courses through your veins.. 

You turn your attention to the sweet natured pale golden Stallion who has chosen to stay with you.. It flicks its mane and snorts merrily as spots of rain begin to fall against your cheeks and the sky darkens to an ashy dusk.. 

"Colt? Is that you?" You whisper, slowly and carefully reaching out a hand, so fearful he too will run.. "Please.. Don't leave me.."

Oh, but he doesn't.. 

"Neeiiiiigh!" Fast and hard, the creature furies, rounding on you in a swift and elegant motion, its hindquarters buck and the impact of the brutal kick hits you square in the chest.. 

"Oof!" The air is knocked from your lungs as you are violently thrown backwards to the ground.. Suffocating, the world explodes behind your eyes in black and red.. Blood and pain.. 

When breath finally returns, you gasp a desperate inhale, sitting up sharply to take in your new surroundings.. 

A cemetery.. An endless obsidian twilight begins to settle in and the faint beams of a waxing moon cast an eerie glow over uniform rows of the resting fallen..