Chapter THIRTY NINE

Colt Knox

I pace the medical exam room floor, back and forth, facing the most intense sense of uselessness I've ever met.. I've done everything wrong and nothing right.. What was supposed to be the simplest of asset acquisitions has become a conspiracy out of control..

Each operator with their own motives..
I know Ellerie is a damn do-gooder, who handled the situation with all the grace of a fumbling fawn.. She isn't a bad person and she means well.. But at times, I have found her to be a little on the savage side.. More about the job and proving herself worthy of her post than the people involved.. I get it, she's in a tough spot and wouldn't want to take her place, but that being said, I don't always agree with the calls she makes..

Harris' motive was always somewhat more obvious to me, the 'Pierce scandal' over at The FBI is no secret in the intelligence community.. A big old fuck up on anybody's score card, and it'd been going on right under his nose..

An embarrassment like that had to hurt..

So I figure he was looking for a distraction in the form of a win.. A win like fresh intel on the godfather that would lead to the FBI finally taking down the notorious Angelo De'lucca..

Well now, a win like that would have been a godsend to the guy..

Which leads me to Orion and the reason he was contracted..

Harris surely needed to go outside the Bureau because Mikki would recognise his agents, making Reid the perfect candidate for the job..

But I think somewhere along the way, Oliver stopped reporting back what Harris wanted to hear.. I think Mikki got to Reid in the same way she'd gotten to me, without even meaning to.. She compromised the man.

After all, I ain't blind and I ain't fucking stupid, I saw the way he was looking at her when she met with him at that uptown gallery.. The guy practically had hearts in his eyes and stars floating around his head.. The only time he took his armourous stare off her, was to glare at me for being in her company.. Honestly, who could blame him?

And the worst part of it all, is that she likes him too.. I could tell, and I fucking hated that..

I know, I remember distinctly because it had pissed me off.. It had heated up my blood in a primal way I've never felt before, when I watched him slip his hands around her waist.. Hell, I was jealous as shit.. Of course I fucking was..

So there it is, Reid's motivation, same as mine.. Mikki..

He's in love with her..

And goddamnit, so am I..

Fuck..

I don't know when it happened, or how.. All I know is she has made herself my first thought in the morning and my last at night.. She's a river of sweetness and I'm drowning everytime I look into her aquamarine eyes..

Aw hell.. I'm in love with Mikki De'lucca and right about now shes probably wishing we never met..

Shit..

So what then is Mikki's MO?.. I have no idea anymore..

But I have to figure it outta..

I have to fix this..

A pixie-like nurse with a cute chestnut ponytail and pink scrubs tiptoes into the room to cut me off, not allowing me to think anymore about the absolute breakdown I'd witnessed the woman of my waking dreams have back at Specter HQ..

I've seen Mikki mad before.. I've caught her dazed and confused, even a little disoriented at times.. But tonight.. Tonight she was out of her mind hysterical..