Chapter SIXTY

Mikki De'lucca

.. f i v e h o u r s l a t e r..

"I don't know that he's coming.. I'm sorry, Mixxy.." Oliver learns forward over the desk after checking his watch for the thousandth time, before placing a warm hand over yours..

You sigh, bitter disappointment wrenching at the knots in your stomach.. "I guess not.. For some reason I really thought he would show up.. I must be crazy, huh?"

Ollie shakes his head.. "No.. You're not crazy, Beautiful.. He is.. For letting you go."

You chew your lip, unable to let Colt take the blame.. "He didn't let me go, Ollie.. I sent him away...Worse, I lied.. And I was cruel.."

He smiles.. "I guess some men are just made of more pride than me.. You sent me away too, remember? I'm still here, Mikki.. I still care about you.."

"You might not be made of pride, but certainly patience.. Ollie, I'm so sorry.. I've been such a selfish bitch.." Your bottom lip quivers as you sniffle sadly..

He squeezes your hand.. "I don't remember it that way, Mixxy.."

"Oh? How do you remember it?" You wipe your eyes on the back of your sweater dress sleeve to blink at him..

"I remember the prettiest girl I've ever met, asking me for a favour.." Oliver grins in earnest..

You give him a watery smile.. "A dangerous favour that almost got you killed.. See?-- Selfish.."

"Mikki-- I have to confess.." He tugs at his collar, choked by his tie.. "I took Jake Harrison's contract for my own reasons... I always wanted a job at a place like Specter.. Harris showed me that opportunity and I took it.. You see, I am not nearly half the man you seem to think I am.. If you could forgive me, why not Knox? Why are we so different?"

Your lips feel glued together.. You can't say the words aloud, they're too disgusting to you, even now..

He continues with caution.. "Mikki, you know that I've seen Charles Everett's FBI file.. I know how much I look like him.. I think that's the real reason why Jake approached me for the job first.."

You blink, startled and a little sickened by Harrion's shameless manipulation, you will likely never cease to be amazed by the man, the lines he would cross.. "You knew?"

Oliver nods.. "I didn't at first.. But later-- I figured it out.."

You push up to your feet, pacing back and forth a few times as you wrap your mind around it at.. "That's pretty fucked up.. Harris just gets away with everything he wants, huh?"

"He's an ass, the guy makes Iris seem like a Saint in comparison.. But, I'd do it all over again just for the chance to meet you.." Oliver follows you, quickly stilling you, bringing you back to the present.. His strong, rich coffee aroma grounding you as he takes you by the arm..

You tilt your head back to peek at him, reaching up to place a palm against his scarred cheek.. A wistful sigh passing between you both.. "It really is uncanny.. I swear, the first time we met I'd thought I had died and seen an angel.. This beautiful face.. But it's so much more than that.."

"What is it, Mikki?" His fingers wrap around yours, warm and comforting.. "Tell me?"

You search for the words.. "You don't just look like him, Ollie.. You are like him.. This sweetness, this stoicism.. God, that smile and the way you say my name.. You remind me of Charlie in all the best ways.."