Chapter THIRTY

Mikki De'lucca

.. L a t e r t h a t a f t e r n o o n..

While Colt disappears outside to secure the property, letting loose the horses before locking down the barn and stables, you sit patiently on the edge of the tub in Juliette's bathroom as she finishes coloring your hair.. The gentle stroke of her fingers against your scalp is calming and kind and she hums happily as she works.. "You're brave to undergo such a big change! But I think you're gonna look amazing!!" She gives your shoulder a little squeeze as she smiles at you in the reflection of the mirror.. "Ain't nobody gonna recognise you neither, that's for sure!"

"I've never been blonde before.." You eye her nervously.. "I don't know if I can pull it off like you.. I'm not exactly the Barbie-doll type.."

Juliette giggles.. "Oh and I am?.. Do I look like a Barbie-doll to you?.."

You look her up and down with a smirk.. "Yeah pretty much, Rodeo-Barbie.. She even comes with her own pony.."

She giggles.. "Aw shucks.. You're real cute girl.. I spoze' there are worse comparisons and you know what they say, us blondes have the most fun! You're gonna love it, trust me.." She winks sarcastically and continues to beam her pageant-worthy smile, giving you no choice but to agree.. How could you not?

She's just so damn nice..

You place both feet on the cool tiles, turning to look up at her.. "I trust you, Juliette.. I really do.. Which is why I need to apologise.. I'm really sorry I didn't tell you who I am.. Who my family are.. It was just nice to have a friend who was able to be real with me for a change.. One who wasn't afraid of me.."

She clicks her tongue.. "Awe, Mikki, I ain't afraid of you, sweetie-pie.."

You frown at her.. "Well.. You should be, to be honest the fact that you're so calm, is kinda freaking me out.. I never meant for any of this to happen.. I hate that you have to leave your home because of me..I hate that I had to lie to you.. Mostly I just hate that it isn't safe for us to be friends.."

She shakes her head.. "You'd be surprised by some of the things I've seen, Sweetie.. I know Paw seems like a silly old man now.. But-- growing up-- well.. Let's just say he was never exactly on the straight and narrow.. And Colt.. He hasn't always been the way he is today.. We didn't exactly come from law abiding stock.. Everybody has a past, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends, Mikki! Colt would never have brought you here if that were true.. He just wouldn't.." She sounds so absolutely sure.. As if it would be impossible for Colt to have made that kind of mistake..

You sigh hopefully, her words giving you a little confidence.. But it's all so confusing since The Cowboy hasn't really spoken to you since this morning.. It's like he has been avoiding you.. Or maybe you are being selfish in your thinking again.. Or maybe he is just preoccupied with trying to clean up all your messes.. "Maybe.. But I think he regrets it.. I think he probably regrets a lot of things.."

"Like, what kind of things?" She asks openly, motioning you over to the dining chair she had placed by the sink, so that she can rinse the toner from your hair..

"Umm.. Just-- all of it.." You move into position, leaning your head back as she uses a small plastic cup to pour warm water though your lightened locks.. "Me.. Him.. Us.. All of it.. It just feels like maybe he is holding back.. I don't know.."

"You got a real fancy for him, huh?.." She winks down at you..

"What?" You scrunch your nose, not entirely understanding her words through the drawl of her thick-honeyed accent..