Chapter TWELVE

Mikki De'lucca

Belladonna.. That is what Doctor Greyson had called the poison you've been unknowingly taking for months now.. You just can't understand it.. Why would your doctor give you something to make you sicker?

Since it was prescribed before you even met Oliver, it can't have been Angelo, that just doesn't add up.. Unless.. Angelo had the same idea as you.. To get rid of you before you could get rid of him..

But why like this?

Why not just put a bullet in your head and be done with it?

When Colt leaves you alone, disappearing downstairs with the Doctor's husband, you turn to her.. "Doctor Greyson, could I ask you something?.."

She smiles, crossing the room to sit beside you.. "Please, you can call me Lacey.. What's on your mind, Mikki?"

You suck a breath between your teeth.. "I've been.. Seeing things.. Things that-- aren't there.. Impossible things.."

Her empathetic eyes never leave yours.. "Hallucinations can be another side effect of the Belladonna toxin.. It's a pretty common reaction.. What kind of things do you see?.."

You swallow.. "It's just the one thing really.. But-- It--he seems so real.."

"He?" Her head tips curiously to one side..

"Charlie.. He is my--" You bite your tongue.. "He - - was my husband.. I lost him four years ago.." Tears begin to escape you.. "I fell to peices the day he died.. I mean.. It destroyed me, Lacey.. And last year.. I found out he was still alive.. Just to lose him all over again.." You sob.. "I didn't even get to see him.. I didn't get to say goodbye.. My husband died twice.. And I still see his ghost everywhere I go.. Sometimes I feel so sure I am going mad.."

Lacey shifts tentatively, as though she doesn't quite know what to say or do.. But then to your surprise, she reaches across to wrap her arms around you.. She smells of lillies and baby power.. The combination inexplicably comforting.. "Im so sorry for your loss, Mikki.. I can't begin imagine how difficult this has been for you.. You must know how incredibly brave you are, to have continued on.. And I promise you, you are not going crazy.. You're going to feel better soon.. Everything will work out if you have faith.."

You are astounded by this woman and her compassion.. The way she makes you feel as though you could tell her anything.. You see no malice in her starry grey gaze, and there isn't a trace of judgment to her soft tone..

"If-- if I stop taking the Belladonna.. I won't see him anymore.. Will I?"
You don't know if are not ready for that.. You're not ready to let him go..

"Just like with your memory, It may take some time for the effects to fully fade.. You might still experience some symptoms until the toxin is completely out of your system.. But.. Mikki, you do HAVE to stop taking it.. Otherwise it will kill you, slowly but surely.."

You nod.. "I understand.. Its just.. It's not fair.."

She pets your hand in hers.. "No.. It's not fair at all, Mikki.."

You smile at her weakly... "T-thank you, Lacey.. Thank you for looking out for me.. I don't really have many people on my side these days.."

She sighs.. "I took an oath to help people, it's not about sides to me.. Right or wrong.. I don't believe anyone deserves to suffer.. I don't believe anybody is beyond redemption, so long as they ask for forgiveness.." She smiles.. "I also understand a thing or two about grief and crappy circumstances.. Believe me.."