Chapter THIRTY EIGHT

Mikki De'lucca

With aching eyes, you blink awake beneath a calming blue light.. Sitting up to look around the little white room, you lean forward with elbows on your knees to hold your pounding head.. "Oh my fucking god.." You groan, a pained huff of frustration when you feel the tender lump on the back of your skull..

You can't be sure, but you must have hit your head..

Last thing you recall, you were in an overly bright little interrogation room.. Next thing.. You don't know.. There is a void there..

A sudden wash of nausea tortures you when you remember seeing those familiar FBI faces that had plagued your life..

Ellerie Devereux and her boss, Jake Harrison..

Jake, fucking, Harrison..

That asshole..

You push up from the medical cot to your feet and cross to the door, reaching for the knob.. When you jiggle the door handle, finding it locked, you realise just how bad the situation is.. Now, you really are a captive.. Once again in FBI custody.. "Hey! HEY! LET ME OUT!" You pound on the door with your first until it hurts.. "Hey! CAN ANYBODY HEAR ME?! HELP!!"

When you hear the shuffle of footsteps outside and the jingle of keys, you take two swift steps away from the door.. Lifting your hands in a defensive stance, you prepare yourself for whoever might be coming for you next..

The door swings and your jaw falls to the floor.. Your hands drop down to your side.. Stunned.. "Dr Greyson?.."

"Hi Mikki.." Lacey smiles as you peer over her shoulder to watch Hunter pull the door closed behind her.. She takes a step closer in her long white coat, a little black and white laminated name tag on her lapel that reads; 'SPC Advising Physician - Lacey Greyson MD/MS/MRCS - Southbank Hospital CS, Evergreen PharmD'.

"I wanted to be here when you woke up, I've been reviewing the results of your bloodwork.." She holds up a clipboard with a kind, optimistic smile..

"Y-You took my blood?" You gape at her in horror, feeling as though something strangely precious has been stolen from you..

She nods, her stormy grey eyes narrowing in concern.. "Yes? Colt gave me the impression you would consent to testing-- I'm very sorry if that isn't the case?"

"Colt is here?" You ask, a little too quickly, and too keenly for your own liking.. You should hate him.. You should never want to see him again..

So why is he the only person you want to see right now?

She shakes her head.. "Um.. I'm not sure where he is right now I'm sorry.. He isn't.. Why don't you sit down, Mikki--"

Her gentle coo is clearly meant to be kind, but instead, it irritates you.. "Because I don't want to sit down.. I want to know what the hell is going on Lacey! What is this place?"

She takes a seat anyway at the end of the cot, petting the place beside her invitingly.. "Please, Mikki.. Sit with me.."

Reluctantly you join her, sitting ridged with tension by her side..

She sighs softly, looking up from her chart with empathetic eyes.. "Mikki, you've been admitted to Specter Patient Care on a 72 hour psychiatric hold.."

"What?!" You scoff, sure you can't be hearing her right..

"Your outburst back at Specter HQ was-- disconcerting.. Witnesses say you were--" She glances at the paperwork.. "Erratic, defensive and inconsolable.. You pulled a knife? Mikki, that doesn't sound like you.. Can you tell me what exactly happened?"